• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Hi, Restoring a 1964 MGB

David64MGB

Just saying hello. Have started restoration of my 1964 MGB. Have owned it since 1978, but parked it in 1984. I intend to disassemble, repair, or renew every single part of the car. This is a long term project.

Is there anyone out their from Saskatchewan, Canada?

ronzet

Jedi Knight
David, Welcome to the forum... Enjoy your sojourn into the pitfalls, pratfalls, and joys of restoring your B... With all of the Yodas around on the forum, I am sure that you will find answers to the your queries; even those of the most obscure topics imaginable... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Peter_Rogers

Jedi Hopeful
Hi David,
Good luck with the project. Noting the location hope you have a nice heated garage to get the work done in your rather extended winters!

Welcome... got any pictures?

OP
D

David64MGB

I will try and send a couple pictures. I have a heated shop at the office where the heavy stuff will occur, but I will be using the basement workshop for most things. I had to wait 20 years for the restoration so I have the time, money and space to do this sort of thing.

If the pictures go through it is obvious that I need to do a lot of exterior (and interior) work. New paint, new top, new seats, carpet, etc. Everything is there, but it is pretty beat up. A few years under a tarp actually wore the paint away in places. Engine, transmission, and rear-end are in relatively good shape, but everything rubber is gone.

Attachments

• 242652-MGB2.jpg
    242652-MGB2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 125

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome, nice clean B to start with. Looks great.

You have a nice example of the marque with a LOT of potential!

Keep us posted!

Peter_Rogers

Jedi Hopeful
Do yourself a favor. If you are not familiar with the various suppliers of MG parts - get the catalogs for each one and compare prices. Make nice to the variuos Moss resllers who will give you a bit of a break on parts. Look at Ebay on a regular basis - I have both the English and USA sites ( narrowed to the 1st page of MGB parts ) to look for stuff but beware you do not always save money there unless you know what you aredoing. Do not forget the various English suppliers - MG Owners Club being the best example. Make good use of these bulletin boards. Guys love exhibiting their knowledge even if you ask what you might think is a 'dumb' question. Make sure you research well. There are a number of good manuals and sites like Chicagoland MG club have great tech tips
I know all this cos I just moved into my 2nd year of ownership and one thing I have learned is that there is such a wealth of information out there you should never be wanting for guidance.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hi, Dave, and welcome to the forum. It looks as though you've got a good solid, example to work with. That's always a plus!
Mike Adams, who goes by "MGAdams" here, is from Regina. He vintage races a B.
Jeff

OP
D

David64MGB

Thanks guys. I will be asking for lots of advice. I have been driving a 23 year old BMW for 5 years and have been heavily dependant on the help of fellow drivers and on-line resources. The experience with the BMW made me realize that a major overhaul was possible with the MGB. Comparitively speaking, the MGB has been a dream to work on. I am really looking forward to this and intend to do a thorough job. My initial parts budget is over $5k, assuming most of the drive components are still good. I will be diving into the engine soon and see what the real story is.

I will keep you posted on progress.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Hey, hold the phone... my B looks like his... And I thought I was finished....What do ya' mean good place to START /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the zoo David! The car looks good, anxious to see the progression. "over $5k" budget is a good place to start.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I won't bother telling you what we have in our '66 (see the 'before' picture in my signature - the multicolored car on the flatbed) If you are doing most the work yourself, machine work on the engine, body work, paint, you'll be a lot closer to $5000 than I ended up!

ronzet

Jedi Knight
David,
I have a '57 MGA that is in heavy frame off. My wonderful be ill be retored when the A is finished... This has been a GREAT resource for information and shared experiences... The B
MGB 1.jpg

The A
MGA Frame and engine.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

R6MGS

Yoda
Well, I am another Canuck...but a little far from you....Looks like a very good start, has that car spent it's entire life in Saskachewan?

OP
D

David64MGB

My car had a fairly checkered past. It was in Edmonton, Alberta when my brother found it in the Mid 70s. The car had a number of owners by then and was relatively poorly treated. Some of the cross supports and the fuel tank are very dented, evidence of off-road use. Engine is missing the number plate which is suspicious. Transmission had been trashed, interior was completely worn.

I have been the sole owner since and yes it has stayed in Saskatchewan, but I probably only put 13,000 miles on it since 1978. Never winter driven for obvious reasons.

Pulled the head yesterday, valves are crusty, but the cylinders look great. Everything moves smoothly.

Thanks for the encouragement.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Missing number plate on engine usually indicates a hot dip durring a rebuild.