• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hey Doc! Ever seen this before?

Bret

Yoda
Had to work up in LA (Carson/Torrance CA) for a few hours on Saturday. Since I only needed my laptop and a couple of hand tools to do what I needed to do I decided to take the Porsche rather than my truck.

Well after clocking more than 300 miles up there and back – I made it home about four in the afternoon. But after being home for a little I realized I was hungry so I’d then decided to run around the corner to get something for supper.

I didn’t get far – when this happened.

shifterrodcoupling.jpg

In a nut shell - the rear shifter rod coupling came apart just as I'd finished shifting into fourth. But luckily I was close enough to home to limp home in fourth.

Can’t see it in the picture but the dust cover was torn up in the process too. But from what I can tell it’s a pin pressed fitting that came out leaving me with a dead stick. Talking to some of my fellow Shark owners – the whole assembly needs to be replaced so I’ll order a new one later on this morning.

But after a quick trip to the hardware store, I had the car moving with little effort. Used a clevis pin that was almost a perfect fit with two washers one either side & a locking slit pin to hold it all in place. Actually it went together pretty easy and seems to shift a heck of a lot better than it was before the pin came out.

That leads me to believe that the thing was probably ready to fail at any moment and the car choose that one moment in time to finally let go. Only good fortune & a lot of luck kept it from letting go a few hours earlier when I was a hundred miles or more from home.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Your Field Repair will be as good as the replacement part! And a durn'd sight less $$$.

You WERE lucky. I love it when they fail "in the yard."

I think The Shark loves you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bret, I would also leave the clevis pin in there instead of ordering a new part. A decent pin, wont come out on its own. That is after all how brakes are put together.

Does the 1st/2nd shift rod have the same type of connection? You might want to do a preemptive repair just to make sure you don't loose the shifter again.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Ok well as luck would have it I was really busy today & didn’t have a chance to order the new coupling. But I think I want to go ahead & order the dust cover just to protect what I've got.

But I'm not sure I understand your question Herald? There's only the one shaft link/rod coming back from the shifter to the rear transaxle. And it selects all of the gears (R & 1st – 5th). The only other rod connecting to the shifter is the front rod that goes to the front of the torque tube (between the engine & the transaxle) that connects to a static hard point via a ball & socket setup.

For the record (Doc?) I already replaced that socket about seven months ago.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One piece for shifter there. Anti-seize the pin, put the bootie on it and go. Have you looked in Granger's catalog for a substitute boot? May not be worth the aggro but it'd be less by half in dollars, methinks. Power controls.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Thanks for the tip Doc. I'll have a look at the Granger catalog to see what they've got.

Problem is the boot is kind of a weird set up with a bellows (accordion like) type base that snugly wraps around the shaft coming transaxle with the larger part covering the coupling.

Like I said kind of weird. But I'll still look to see what they've got.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bret said:
But I'm not sure I understand your question Herald? There's only the one shaft link/rod coming back from the shifter to the rear transaxle. And it selects all of the gears (R & 1st – 5th).
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif For some reason, I just had it in my mind that there were multiple rods. No idea why I was thinking that, most likely because I was half asleep at work this morning!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Hey, Bret... izzat a disguised bird finger inna photo? You secretly flippin' us non-Porsche fellas off? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
DrEntropy said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Hey, Bret... izzat a disguised bird finger inna photo? You secretly flippin' us non-Porsche fellas off? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Ya saw that did you! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif