• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hershey Hillclimb-Gone For Good

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I ran it once a few years ago. A fun event. It was canceled "temporarily" for 2009.
Now that has changed and the cancelation is permenant.

Here's a note from the SVVSCC

SVVSCC NEWS RELEASE

February 16, 2009 For Immediate Release

SVVSCC Announces
Hershey Vintage Hillclimb has been CANCELED

It is with great sadness that the SVVSCC announces that Hershey Entertainment and Resorts is removing the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb from their current business plans, effective February 16, 2009. The SVVSCC does not know, nor can explain, the business changes that brought about this decision. We can only accept their decision and move on.

We now leave the original ASCC-sponsored Hershey Hillclimb and the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb to the guardians of history, truly believing that this reincarnate event never glimpsed of its full potential due to limiting factors brought about by a generation or two of change.

The original Hershey Hillclimb will forever claim its footnote in hillclimbing history as having the largest entry field ever, worldwide, at the time of its demise in 1970. Some of motorsports most prominent drivers of the era made their personal assaults on The Hill and left with a legacy.

Memories of the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb years will remain indelibly imprinted in the minds of many for some spectacular moments. Our very first HVH in 2002 set a standard that proved hard to surpass, having the very first hill record holder (Dave Latsha, 1957) and the all-time record holder (Tim Musser, 1970) both take part in our inaugural 'Return to The Hill'. From there followed a myriad of outstanding people, cars and exciting times.

We would not have made it this far without the help of many people and supporters, all to whom we extend our 'thanks':

- To the many drivers, dominated by the PHA, for bringing out some wonderful machinery and talent.

- To the members, friends and families of the SVVSCC, there is no way we could have endured eight years without your leadership, helps, energy and support.

- To our media partners, we received some incredible coverage from you in print and video that advertising couldn't buy and history can't take away.

- To our advertisers and Meadows vendors, we thank you for your ongoing support that allowed us to produce a terrific program and provide excellent services to our participants and spectators. The SVVSCC looks forward to continuing our relationships as we endeavor to take our Meeting of the Marques motorshow to new and greater heights.

- And yes, respectfully to Hershey Entertainment and Resorts, there were many things done by you that would not have made these events either possible or affordable. We hold no grudge in your decision; we do wish you the best in business and for your people.

- Lastly, to our hillclimbing and motor racing fans, it was for you that we chose a few sleepless nights to bring you a quality vintage motorsports program, and perhaps a flashback or two worth remembering - you've been a gracious audience.

As we cross the finish line for the last time at the top of the Hershey Hill, we humbly reflect back on what did occur here when many said it couldn't be done. Do keep an eye on the Susquehanna Valley Vintage Sports Car Club, as we remain the only Sports & GT Car Region of The AACA, at https://www.SVVSCC.org . There is much yet to accomplish in our old car hobby and you are certainly invited along for the ride.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
That's indeed sad, but not unexpected. There were rumblings of this as far back as the MOM. And I wonder where it will be this year, since Allenberry seems to be off the table.

We still have one left in Sparta, NC, same group that did the old Chimney Rcok hillclimbs, sad but it seems these type of events are just too much of a liabilty these days. I never ran one of hese, I always looked at it as parfectly good way to mess up a good race car, like my buddies did at Chimney Rock.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Yeah, but climbing the Rock was such a blast and a challenge.

Twosheds

Darth Vader

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I guess I'll never see one again at Hershey. Last time was 1966 and I was always hoping to get back. If it is a liability issue or partly so, that is very sad.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Twosheds said:
Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association is alive and well and runs a full schedule of events.

https://www.pahillclimb.org/

One of my best friends is in the intro picture on that website.

Bruce Bowker said:
I guess I'll never see one again at Hershey. Last time was 1966 and I was always hoping to get back. If it is a liability issue or partly so, that is very sad.

There are still ten other PA Hillclimb events running in 2009 , most with a strong vintage component.

PA Hillclimbs '09

~More Info~ (The History/Archive section is great)

~Here Is~ a link to pictures I took at the 2008 Duryea.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Thank you for the information. Weatherly looks like a possibility. I hope to be in NJ in June

Bruce