• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Needed. Alternator Question

M

Mike

I feel like an idiot. I was installing a new belt and had loosen my alternator to install the belt and broke a mounting bracket tab. What is the fix? Do I need to buy a new alternator? Moss Motors shows a alternator conversion kit on their web site. Would that be the right replacement? I can not identify the model number of my existing alternator due to printed number on the I.D. sticker being faded. My engine is a 1257. My engine tag is 12V/671Z/L 4584. From asking on the forum a couple of years ago, one of the replies indicated my engine was probably manufactured in 1972, not sure.

Thanks,
Mike

photo-1.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sorry to hear - hopefully BillM will be along in a minute to say that he still has 47 alternators for sale cheap and he can fit one (or even the case) in a $10 US Post box. You could probably get it welded but I would be nervous.

nomad

Yoda
Looks suspiciously like a GM alternator to me. If so it should say Delco somewhere. I'd take it to my local friendly auto parts store and see if they know what it is. Maybe they would know a mechanic with one laying behind the shop that you could steal a case off of!

Kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I think that I have one of those (GM?) but that one has been ground to fit and looks like that is why it broke.
I have a bunch of Datsun ones really cheap but you would have to wire it up.
BillM

MichiganTed

You have a GM 10-SI style alternator. One of the most common alternators used by GM for years and years and years. Easy to change the drive end housing yourself or you can take it to a rebuild shop and have them swap out a new end plate. Depending on time/mileage on the alternator, I'd suggest replacing the drive end bearing.

You'll need an impact gun to remove the pulley - just hold the pulley in one hand while you spin the nut off using the impact gun. And you'll need to note the "clock" position when you remove the 4 through bolts (the two halfs go togther in one four positions). The only other trick is to reset the brushes in the brush holder with a small pin or piece of wire. After re-assembling the two halfs, pull the pin.

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looks like a job for original JB Weld

Fred

dklawson

Yoda
I agree that it looks like a GM alternator. Is it really necessary to modify the mounting ear on the alternator case to get the pulleys to line up when used on an A-series?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There's plenty of information here on alternator conversions; start with the Wiki. I wouldn't recommend the Moss kit. Last I looked it was about $180 for a $60 alternator, a few parts you can make yourself, and instructions, which you can find here. I wouldn't use any alternator where you had to grind down the tab; it just weakens it, and there are others that fit without this modification.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
All alternators do the same thing...it shouldn't matter what the replacement is as along as it fits in the car/bracket...

OP
M

Mike

Thanks guys. Your responses have been very helpful. I will definately look for an alternator that does not require and grinding. The one I had was poorly mounted from the start. I'm surprised it took this long to break at the mounts. I also notice that it had only one mount point, the tab which had broken. Still learning about my Sprite!
Mike

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike said:
Thanks guys. Your responses have been very helpful. I will definately look for an alternator that does not require and grinding. The one I had was poorly mounted from the start. I'm surprised it took this long to break at the mounts. I also notice that it had only one mount point, the tab which had broken. Still learning about my Sprite!
Mike

Mike, this fits using all standard hardware. I do a 1 wire conversion, which makes hookup even easier.

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/alternatorTfisher.htm

BillW103

Jedi Trainee
I’m a fan of the GM alternator. I’ve used them on every thing from hot rods to tractors $50 anywhere. I think the 1275 was the toughest install. Milling the small ear was the easiest but as I was installing I wondered how long it would last.(3 months) I milled out the center of the big side but didn’t like the all the force on the water pump. I built a bracket that bolts to the motor mount plate and it seems to be working well. Now I can bolt a stock GM alternator in with no milling.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a brand new GM one I want to sell if anyone is interested.

OP
M

Mike

Guys:
Again thanks for the responses. What I gathered from all of the info is that there are a lot of alternators that can work. It's a matter of being fitted properly. I found an alternator and brackets on page 11 of the Victoria British catalog that looks like it will fit my 1275 (72-79) and they also have the proper brackets for which I'm in need of. Any other words of advice is much appreciated.
Thanks again.

https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/images/0127.jpg