• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Need replacement body ID tag

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Help! I'm in need of a replacement for one of the body ID tags on my TR3A restoration. As you can see the original (the one closest to the battery) was eaten away by battery acid. I went back to the build record and the number should be 1061887. The other plate EB 56740 is in good shape. Any help finding a donor or a way of reproducing this plate would be appreciated.

Frank

Downingtown, PA
TR-3A TS58476LO (under restoration)
TR-250 CD1510LO

Attachments

• 271303-bodyIDtag.jpg
    271303-bodyIDtag.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 95

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Moss Motor has the tag for $6-6.50. Check if they can stamp the number for you, else you will need to find a source for the proper sized metal number stamps, and stamps that will either produce raised or indented images as needed.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The big problem with those plates, is that they are embossed. That means that the numbers on the surface are raised, as opposed to the numbers on the VIN plate, which are stamped below the surface. Number and letter stamps are readily available that stamp into the plate, but doing a quick google search on embossing stamps didn't get me too far. Maybe someone else has a source for them. The plate itself should be easy enough to make, it's just that embossing part that will the problem from what I see.

Hopefully someone might have a lead on embossing stamps.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Yes. You are spot on! The embossing is the problem. Commission plates have been available from a variety of sources for several years. The quality is very good and they are easy to stamp. But embossing is another matter. Actually this post was kinda a last resort, because I have been researching this whole matter of metal embossing on and off for 2 years. I even sent requests for quotation out to several metal ID tag companies and no one would quote a small quantity. I considered a DIY. The machines are available and the metal "tape" is available in brass and SS, also. The machines are very expensive. There is a model which takes 7/8-inch tape and embosses 3/8-inch characters, but is lists for over $3000.
See https://www.rooversonline.com/ for details
This has be stalled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif because we are trying to perform a very correct restoration. Perhaps one of our friends in the UK might know if the original source still exists.

Thanks,

Frank

PeterK

Yoda
I investigated this for my 3A and found a place that makes plates very similar to the original. They specialize in MG stuff but may have the proper font for the 3A. Price is $24

Send me an email with your findings, I still need to do this.

https://www.clarkespares.com/carparts.html

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Outstanding! Thanks Peter! This place is less than an hour's drive from me. I definitely will give them a call.

Frank

Tomster

Jedi Knight
You can make an embossing die out of bondo. Most of the book bindery shops use this method for short run reproduction or book finishing work.
I have seen this used for soft metal plates as well