• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Help me price my Bugeye?

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
I have am just completing my 1 1/2 year rebuild on my 1959 Bugeye and am moving and may not be able to take it with me. I have replaced everything on this car: new paint on a rust-free body, rebuilt engine and head done by Hap, datsun five speed and conversion kit by Gerard. I rebuilt the brakes, all new lines, new m/c, new starter, new distributor, new alternator, new wiring, new seats, interior, carpet, and cloth top. New coated manifold, stainless exhaust, etc. This is not a show car because I did not build it to be one, but I can't think of hardly anything that is not new and top-notch. I have a project folder with $15k in receipts. The problem that I see, if I have to sell my BE, is that very nice ones seem to go for $12-13k at best. Is that the right ballpark as far as what it would sell for?
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 91

Boink

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
$12-15 wouldn't include a 5-speed or the very recent work (with receipts). Beautiful car. You didn't mention if it has disk brakes and a 1275? Does it have a top and tonneau? I'm impressed with all the little things. Does it have a newer tach (given it has an alternator)? How about wheels/tires?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
$12-15 wouldn't include a 5-speed or the very recent work (with receipts). Beautiful car. You didn't mention if it has disk brakes and a 1275? Does it have a top and tonneau? I'm impressed with all the little things. Does it have a newer tach (given it has an alternator)? How about wheels/tires?

As I recall, Jim also got his 3/4" MC from me as well, so it does have disc brakes, as well as a 1275. Looks like he has a wire wheel conversion too. He has the rear seal kit installed on his 1275 as well.

OP
J

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
Yes, as Gerard said, it has the 1275. New tires on painted wire wheels. Renovated tach from Palo Alto Speedo. Have a new red top but no tonneau. The only thing I did not do, being here in Florida, was to install any of the heater components.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So is this car really a Mk II? With a BE bonnet and some VIN swaps? I agree if all has been done as described and fit and finish are correct, his could/should go higher.

If it is well sorted, then I think 16-17 would be typical. Look at bugeyeguy.com

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The prices for our cars continue to rise. No fixing and flipping will never be profitable but if this trend continues we might be able to approach breaking even assuming our Labor Cost is $0. Besides what else do you have to do with your time. Cogitating on fixing X? on your Spridget relieves the stress of daily life. So if you take that approach this is a therapeutic hobby and we always need to pay for therapy one way or another.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Jim Gruber, if I was you I'd buy this car, sell the other one you've got and forget about the one you've been chasing... C'mon man!

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I built up my '60 BE from a painted tub. I have a 5-speed, 1275, Hap wheels, extra wheels and tires, all new road equipment, all tools, etc. It is a show car and it has won. I thought originally I would get $20K +, but in reality, $17-18K is more likely. At some point I need to clear this great car out, and will not recover the $24-25K costs. It is a great car, I just like building them more! Scott in CA

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Oh, so, we're going down the lines of a therapeutic healthcare deduction on my next tax return....I like it.... Any Doc. out there for some PX help???

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sure Steve, I'd do it Wednesday morning with 6 good numbers at 11:00 PM on Tuesday night.

Instead I'll stay grounded in reality. Still waiting to hear on my offer for Bugsy III.

Your Check BTW is in my pocket and hopefully will be deposited today.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I would say that pricing a Bugeye would depend on the overall restoration. Was the car a rotisserie restoration? What type of paint and body preparation was done, not all are the same? What types of paint and primers were used, not all are the same? What modifications were done to the engine, not all are the same? What type of transmission was fitted was it freshly overhauled too? Was the electrical wiring updated to a more modern car of today? There are so many factors to this list that can drastically influence the value of a car like yours. And last, the individual who’s looking. You would want an individual that would rather pay for someone else work than try to take on the job himself, he would be the smart one. Most have the grandeur of restoring one of these cars but I would estimate that less than half never make it to first base. Congratulations on your completion of the car!! This car shows well and is nicely done!!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jim,

Can you post a pic of the interior. This is the exact color scheme I am planning for Bugsy II including the Red Stripes. I'm curious so I can post a picture on my wall at work for my long term mental health therapy expense. Thanks.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Jim,
Hey man, it's your money. Reality is pay now or pay more later. Either way you're going to pay. That's all I'm sayin'.

Back to the car: The major determining factor in the price is; project or running/driving car. No matter how good the parts are if it's in pieces it's worth less than if it's drivable. This I have proven to myself as both a buyer and a seller.

OP
J

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
image.jpgHi Jim. Here is a picture or two of the red interior. I also included a picture of the engine bay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 66

Boink

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gorgeous. I'd want to be getting $17-20K! But I can well imagine topping out at $16K right now.

Country flag
You should name your car "Snickers" because no matter how you slice it, it's nuts!! That is a beautiful ride!! :D