• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Help installing door handles/window regulator handles.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If there is a tool used to install a window regulator handle, I don't have it. If there is a trick or technique, I don't know it. If there is someone out there who is of greater enlightenment (and there always is), please share with poor 'ole 2Wrench, okay? Who designed these installs, anyway?

Lucas, Prince of Darkness, are you there? Is it you who tests my patience? Help me, Obewann (however it's spelled).

Okay, so I'll hook up and boot the old 'puter and go to my TR6 repair software. I can envision the information I'll get:

"Push in on the door pad. Remove the pin. Remove the handle. To re-install, reverse the order." Anybody feeling my pain"?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I use a scribe or awl to get the handle engaged initially - then from the other side of the handle I take a small needle nose and guide the pin in place. Push the pin in, pull the awl out slowly. And you are done. They are a pain!

Country flag
The easiest way to install the pins. Take and old wire coat hanger, straighten it out. Place the straight end in the door handle, scribe the length needed, cut it about 1/4 the way on each side. Put a little tape around the wire above the cut for a stop, with the handle in place, slide the wire into the hole, wiggle it a little to snap it off and you are good to go.

Marv

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My method is to use TWO PEOPLE!!!!! One to push in and hold in the door panel and handle surround and then one person to guide the handle on and the pin in. Yeh, it is tight quarters for two, but it works.
Charley

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Not too difficult with a pair of locking forceps..... scroll to the end of this page on my site and you'll see the pictures of the tool in use. One caveat.... I never put the springs in as I don't see any difference with or without them

Interi1.jpg

Interi2.jpg

I use a screw driver to spread it apart and a punch to tap it all the way in

WindowPin.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had a **** of a time on my car and spent a hot afternoon trying to get that stupid little pins in on both doors, I tried a needle nose pliers, needle nose vise grips, and locking foreceps. They would tend to pop out when I release the vise grips or locking foreceps, and come off the needle nose pliers before I could get them started. This was with all new springs, plastic covers, door panels and handles, maybe that made it harder, lover the idea of taking a coat hanger and scoring it then snapping it off, I think that would make it a lot easier.

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
LOL. Yep, didn't want to admit I had my wife with me doing the double-team thing. I did use that approach (double-team) along with needle nose pliers and an awl.
Got the pin in and it fell right out. Do not have a spring in place and don't know what happened to it. Probably why the pin fell out. Anyway, I will next get the chance to
revisit this this afternoon after dump run, buying a new phone for the wife, etc. I do not mean to score or rate the replies, but I gotta say, I do like the coat hanger approach, and that will be my next method attempt. I'll let you all know when I don't have to fish around the floor board to find the handle and roll up the window. Thanks for all your replies.:friendly_wink:

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Where's the Dancing Bananas?? I installed my door handle this afternoon. It was far easier to use the coat hanger trick, for me, anyway. I used a small battery-powered
Dremel to "score" the coat hanger 60% or so, may be a bit more, and cut it a length to just fit the inside of the eustachian. (Hope I got that part name right.)
Anyway...handle's on, and thanks for the help!