• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help identifying part

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
This is probably an easy question for you veterans, but I'm new to Midgets and new to this forum. I recently bought a '77 Midget.

There's a threaded opening approx. 1" in diameter on the lower part of the car's exhaust manifold, which points (more or less) toward the rear of the car. The problem is that there's nothing in that opening, so the car is ridiculously loud. I can't figure out what should be there, though.

Can anybody help me with this? I've attached a photo, in case it helps.

Secondly, can anyone suggest how I might plug up the opening as a short-term fix? Given the temperature of the exhaust manifold, I don't want to be too quick to implement a fix that might not be safe.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Attachments

• 83267-1500manifold.jpg
    83267-1500manifold.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 143
OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
Thanks, Rob. I should have known that the hole was actually the GNDN (goes nowhere, does nothing) pipe.

But seriously, does anyone know the name or Moss part no (if any) of the threaded plug that Rob mentioned? I've studied the Moss catalog, my Haynes manual, etc. and I can't find any reference to it.

Salyers890

Friend of mine used a cork - NOT A GOOD IDEA - tried to get it out and ended up having to take off the converter and shake it to get the pieces out. The original pipe comes from the air pump i believe - (is that the idea? dilute the exhaust to meet emmissions standards?) then again, i could be wrong - never owned one like this. I'm interested to find out what part it is also because his midge still sounds like a helicopter.
mike

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike,some of the 1500's had the EGR valve mounted there. Yours has either been removed, or the manifold has been changed. I don't know the size of the plug, but it should be around a 3/4x16. Try to thread a bolt that size in there, and if it fits, use the shortest bolt possible to plug it, using a copper washer under the head. Trim the bolt short if you have to. An alternative would be to braze a plate over the hole, or get a bolt that is close to the correct size, and braze it in place. An exhaust leak there is nothing to fool with. Can you say "Under bonnet fire?"
Jeff

OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
>> some of the 1500's had the EGR valve mounted there

I've seen pictures showing what you describe. I'm confused because my car has an EGR valve on TOP of the manifold.

My confusion notwithstanding, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try finding a bolt to plug the hole.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused because my car has an EGR valve on TOP of the manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Councelor, it's possible that someone transplanted a Spit manifold to your Midget. I've seen Spits with the valve in either of the locations. Incidentally, my guess on the size of the required bolt was exactly that. A guess.
Jeff

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
I have a feeling that the GNDN part is more correct than we all know. If I look on mine (a 76) there is a cast-in bump (for lack of other description) on the manufold. If that "bump" was tapped to give way for a threaded fitting then it would be similar to your 77. If there were different fitting needs for California emissions, Europe, or whatever... then there may be need for that to be a fitting rather that just a cast in bump. Possibly a pipe for an auto choke heater or an emission control sensor.
Plug the sucker and see if it runs OK.

There are a bunch of real GURUs on this forum but most of us are novice tinkerers.

OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
The Left Coast strikes again! I think the California emissions conclusion is probably right. I found a photo on "Chris's MG Midget Page" of the engine in a '79 Midget with Kalifornia emissions (see https://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/Midget10.jpg). Sure enough, the layout of the EGR valve and few other emissions components is the same as my car.

Now all I have to do is figure out the right size thingamajiggy to plug the hole. I'll try to remember to post the answer when I figure it out.

Oh, and Jeff -- if your guess on the bolt size is wrong, I'll hold you harmless (I'll sue the bolt manufacturer instead).

Regards,
Mike

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike, in the immortal words of Lionel Hutz, "Whether we win or lose, I guarantee someone will pay through the nose for our services." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I thought maybe I had a Ca. emissions manifold here, that I could check, but I looked this morning, and no go.
Jeff

OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
Follow up re: Help identifying part

Thanks for everyone's input last weekend. The project has taken a new turn, so I thought I post a some follow-up info.

I e-mailed several parts suppliers about obtaining a plug for the hole. I got two responses -- one echoed the suggestion that I find a bolt, and the other said (I'm paraphrasing) "We don't have a plug, and even if we did, it would be illegal for us to sell you something that helps you disable an emissions component."

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm not guy who disabled the emissions component (I just want to plug the hole left by the PO), I'm curious -- does anyone know if it's illegal to disable a component specific to California emissions if you don't live in California? The hole in question was "plugged" on non-CA cars. It seems like it should be perfectly legal for me to plug it here in Pennsyltucky.

Finally, I discovered upon closer inspection that the threads inside the hole are horribly mangled. It looks like a PO tried plugging the hole with something inappropriate (I could only guess what, given that I recently removed part of a broomhandle from the end of a hose). I've decided to replace the exhaust manifold. That side of the engine could use a good tear-down and clean-up anyway.

Salyers890

Re: Follow up re: Help identifying part

that gives you the excuse to buy the tubular high-flow exhaust manifold!! lol - it's cheaper than buying a new stock one. . . . unless your're buying used- then the stock would be cheaper. i just love the excuses to buy performance parts though.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Re: Follow up re: Help identifying part

Mike, since the California Emissions Statutes are not applicable to any other state, it it legal to plug the hole in the manifold, or delete any other "California only" equipment.
I'm not an attorney, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jeff

OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
More follow up re: Help identifying part

For the benefit of future forum searchers, I thought I'd post a conclusion to this thread.

Due to increasing spousal oversight of Midget-related expenditures, it became necessary to find an el cheapo way to fix the problem temporarily. Locating an inexpensive exhaust manifold in decent condition has been challenging. Salyers' suggestion about a tubular high-flow exhaust manifold is mighty tempting, and may be the long-term solution next year -- but not now.

I almost hate to admit this publicly... I solved the problem by using a short carriage bolt that's slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole, which is held in place by a gob of J-B Weld (I cleaned the area in/around the hole to give the J-B Weld a good surface for adhesion; also, recall that the threads in the hole are stripped/mangled, so using a bolt or other threaded plug by itself wasn't an option). It's not elegant, but it will buy me a few months until The Wife calms down. I won't be driving much over the winter anyway.

I think it's a good solution, but I'm not an experienced mechanic (and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express). If I've done something obviously stupid, someone please whack me before I hurt myself or others.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Re: More follow up re: Help identifying part

The heat of the manifold will make short work of the JB weld. Been there, tried that. Can't you braze the bolt in place? That would be a viable long-term solution. And, drat it, the only 1500 manifolds I have are Spitfire, and I doubt if they would work.
Jeff

OP
T

tortfeezor

Freshman Member
Re: More follow up re: Help identifying part

This is a little bit like having the dream where I go to work naked, and then realizing it's not a dream.

Had I read the J-B Weld web site before performing my "repair," I would have read the following disclaimer:

"Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500º F."

I'll be sure to post a follow-up with all the details of the spectactular failure.