• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Helmet

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm not sure where this belongs, but I have some questions about helmets. I go to the kart track about once a month, autocross at least anually at Triumphest, ride a motorcylce regularly. Is there a single helmet appropriate to these endevors? I read in the current issue of Classic Sports Car about the Snell Foundation. Should I be looking for a Snell approved helmet? I've had polycarbonate and fiberglass helmets three quarter and full coverage previously. Any suggestions? T.T.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
All 'serious' helmets will have a Snell rating, along with the year of the Snell standards the helmet meets. Current skid lids are Snell 2000, which will shortly be superceded by Snell 2005. Standards are upgraded every 5 years.

Most motorsports endeavours will require a Snell 95 at least. In addition, there are the M and SA designations. (e.g. Snell 2000SA). The M designation is for motorcycle helmets, the SA is for motorsports helmets. The SA is similar to the M but with the addition of fireproofing and the ability to withstand impacts with a roll cage. An SA helmet is fine for motorcyling, while an M helmet is not fine for motorsport.

Most motorsport will require a full face helmet, especially in a street car with normal seat belts. A violent impact can stretch the belt (or you may be wrenched out of position) enough to impact your chin on the steering wheel. This is un-good, but a full face helmet will provide a measure of protection.

If you are going out on the track, even just for Triumphest type events, you should have at least a Snell 95SA full face helmet. How much is your brain worth to you?

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Good summary, Eric. I ride a lot, and spend serious money on helmets, keeping up with the newest Snell ratings. A helmet should be thrown away after about five years anyway, so the experts tell me. Can also say that an SA rating can be pretty miserable on a motorcycle, at least in very hot climates, and while they may have changed in the ten years since I quit racing cars, they are (were) much heavier than m/c helmets, and the eyeball opening was much smaller. Sounds like Trevor needs two helmets.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I sold motorcycles and helmets, of course, for a living. I heartily endorse the Snell rating recommendations, with one addition. Buy the best helmet that you can afford. Also, look for something bright and easily visible. I used to have a bright yellow helmet. Every little helps. I always swore by Shoei, the ventilation was very good, and peripheral vision was excellent. Other premium helmets will be as good a product of course. Also go for the latest design.......an older design, even though brand new still, may have been sitting around in a box for a couple of years.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I agree, get the best you can.
My first full faced helmet was a Bell Star, when they originally came out, and it had a tiny eyeport, and zero ventilation.
My current hat is a Simpson Super Voyager 8, with a huge eyport, and adjustable shutters to control the airflow. It's lighter by a bunch than the old Bell was, and pretty darn comfortable, even when not moving.
Jeff

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for your help. I bought an Arai helmet, DOT and Snell approved. It was on sale as last years color for just about half price: a shade under $300. Seemd like a deal, fit comfortably, good color, it wasn't polycarbonate. Thanks again. T.T.

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Good Choice. I've always had problems with the full face helmets, they never seem to fit right, even back to my original Bell Star, circa 1969, which incidently saved my life in a solo accident at Riverside's turn 6.

I need a size 8 to fit the mellon and my head is longer than I guess is normal. I'm currently looking at the Bell "FatHead", it is said to fit fat heads like me better than anything else. Anyone have info on that?

Eric

Jedi Warrior
I don't know about that helmet, but all the chat I've read about helmets suggests that different brands fit differently and that some trial and error test fitting is needed to find one to fit one's own particular noggin. Most SCCA race weekends will have racing equipment vendors present, usually with a selection of skid lids to try on. May be your best bet.