• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hello from new member [rapier owner]

darren

Freshman Member
hey everyone. not too many Sunbeam forums around.

I have a 1962 series IIIa Sunbeam Rapier. Any other Rapier owners on here? I am in the UK- its always interesting to speak to Sunbeam owners in different lands.

Anyway, my Rapier is named 'Alice' after its original owner, has quite an interesting and extensive history.
Picture here:
https://www.oldmotor.co.uk/rallyscenenewpictures.htm

its "674 EBF" about halfway down participating in the 1994 Rally Bristowe.

Darren

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Darren!
Not a Sunbeam owner but certainly glad you've joined this forum. Do continue to post and get the pictures of your car on the members rides page if you haven't done so.
thumbsup.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Darren,

Help! I'm a British saloon enthusiast surrounded by all these guys with sports cars
grin.gif

Now, seriously, there are a few Rapiers kicking around North America but they aren't ultra-common either. I believe they were sold here as new models way back when. I know of one BCF member from the the States who has a Rapier, awaiting a new engine (something bigger than the base engine - V6? V8? something else?), using the search function should find that posting.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Nice one Darren.

I was trying to pick the colour. Looks like Moonstone, or perhaps light blue?

He's not on the forum, but my father has a Moonstone/Powder Blue IIIA tucked away in his shed. He's had it since the sixties. It's presently going through a major renovation.

impster

Welcome to the forum Darren.

I too am a Rapier owner: a '61 series III convertible. However, I have rebodied mine using a series II bodyshell as it was so rusty. Additionally, I am modifying mine somewhat with an upgraded chasis (from a Nissan) and a Ford V8. Never-the-less, I am still quite partial to an original car such as yours. Yours looks quite good at speed. Having owned lots of Sunbeams, I must wonder though, how much further along you went before your electrics started to react to the bath that you gave them?

Tony

'61 Sunbeam Rapier
'74 BMW 2002
'76 Jag XJ6C

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Welcome Darren.
There are quite a few UK owners visiting this site.WWW.sunbeamalpine.org.
With saying that I admit I enjoy the BFC forum because it includes all British cars.I like to visit all the headings while I have my 2nd and most often 3rd cup of coffee in the AM.Pictures
were great.
As you can see I have 3 Sunbeams.The Lister is a look alike of the other 2 Listers and has a 351 Ford V8 motor.It was a 64 Alpine.
There is a 60? rapier convertible near here but I don't dare even investigate that one or I might just have to have it.

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
Hi Darren .. Welcome.
The Rapiers I remember had a sort of fast back coupe style. Do you know the model I am talking about ? We had a few Hunters, Humbers & Minx's but I'm not sure where all the connections go .. but fond memories nontheless.

smile.gif

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Pope:
Hi Darren .. Welcome.
The Rapiers I remember had a sort of fast back coupe style. Do you know the model I am talking about ? We had a few Hunters, Humbers & Minx's but I'm not sure where all the connections go .. but fond memories nontheless.

smile.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Hi Gary,

You can compare the two different styles of Rapier here:

www.sunbeam.org.au/models/rapier.htm
www.sunbeam.org.au/models/fastback.htm

I don't think we'll mention the 1980s Talbot Rapier which technically owed more to Simca than to Rootes. Or for that matter Peugeot who today like to stick the Rapier badge on special editions of their models!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Gary Pope said: The Rapiers I remember had a sort of fast back coupe style. Do you know the model I am talking about ? We had a few Hunters, Humbers & Minx's but I'm not sure where all the connections go .. but fond memories nontheless.<hr></blockquote>

Over here in North America we received the Rapier fastback, very briefly, but badged as Alpine. They didn't exactly fly off the shelves, and many of you can be forgiven if you have totally forgotten. One guy I know who was selling an Alpine fastback kept getting calls from people thinking it was the earlier Alpine roadster (series cars), and he was getting frustrated.

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sherlock:

Over here in North America we received the Rapier fastback, very briefly, but badged as Alpine. They didn't exactly fly off the shelves, and many of you can be forgiven if you have totally forgotten. One .
<hr></blockquote>

That's wild, because I always liked the shape and look of that car. It's probably been 20 years since I have seen one.