• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello everyone!

Riff

Freshman Member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif Hello, thought I'd say 'hi' so as not to be a lurker and incur the wrath of Basil! Today a friend showed me pictures of his MG Midget convertible (red) and it's the cutest car I've ever seen! So thought I'd drop in here and see if I could learn a bit more about them.

As for me, I'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif but wish I was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif, are Midgets as inexpensive on this side of the pond as my friend says they are on his? Thanks everybody!

Toups

Can you define your definition of "inexpensive"

I know my 1980 MGB LE was cheap (3,500), and parts are definately cheap, then again I also think a loaded Accord for 27k is a steal.

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome!
I picked up my 77 Midget a couple years ago for 2k. It was fully inspectable and driveable, though it is not quite show condition. the tub and major mechanics are all serviceable, which was important to me, as I didn't have the time or $$ for a full up resto. It has been on the road and used sine the day I registered it. Still has the normal LBC failures, but overall I am very happy. You have come to the right spot, though, as you will find this forum to be full of very experienced helpful car lovers. I joined not too long ago, and have learned a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
R

Riff

Freshman Member
Well, Matt (friend) was saying that he picked his up for 2K-something. If I did end up with a Midget, I'd want about what you've got, Mark. An everyday driver that's sound enough to be reliable, that's all. I've seen quite a few Midgets on Ebay, but most of them are either show cars or major projects. I know how to rebuild an engine, but don't have the time or facilities to do so.

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and info!

R6MGS

Yoda
Riff, welcome to the forum...If you want a Midget now would be a good time to get one....they are probably the cheapest MG sportscar around right now, but within the next few years will probably start to climb in price as the B's and A's have recently.

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you are looking to make a Midget your primary ride, and you plan on hitting the highways, you might want to read up on some of the threads for 5 spd conversions and overdrive, and narrow your search accordingly with this in mind before you purchase. Midgets are backroad/winding road cars, but top speed is not too fast considering the other traffic, and it is only a stock 4 spd. I have had mine for 5 years, and have had it on the highway once, but luckily I can take all the fun winding roads to work everyday, etc. They are a complete blast to drive.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Riff,

In searching for a car to buy, I would suggest you find a local MG or British Car Club. Members often know of cars available that are not advertised for sale. They can also let you know what the local market is like and what current values are.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search.

Safety Fast,
Dave