• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater Valve for 1500

RossL

Country flag
I can't seem to find a new replacement heater valve for a 1978 Midget. Is there an alternate that could be used?

Morris

Yoda
Do you not have one? Of is it that yours is malfunctioning? They are pretty easy to rebuild.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As Morris said they are pretty easy to rebuild.

Separating the valve from the mounting bracket will reveal a set screw on the back side. Remove this screw and work the valve cylinder from the valve body. You’ll probably see a lot of crud and a worn out O-ring. Clean things up a bit, pick up a new O-ring (NAPA) and you’re good to go. I had to use a wire brush and emery cloth on mine being carful of the brass. You'll also want to lube things up when you reassemble the valve. I use Mercruser outdrive grease since it’s made for use around water and heat, but you could use plain old plumbers grease from the hardware store. Slide the valve back together; replace the set screw, and your done.

Just like that, you’re done

SAMidget

Mine gave up the ghost some time ago and on investigation found that these are not made anymore. So I went to the local hardware store bought some heavy duty matching diameter tubing as well as an inline plumbing valve and hey presto a new valve. All for less than R100 +- $14

OP
R

RossL

Country flag
SAMidget said:
Mine gave up the ghost some time ago and on investigation found that these are not made anymore. So I went to the local hardware store bought some heavy duty matching diameter tubing as well as an inline plumbing valve and hey presto a new valve. All for less than R100 +- $14

Do you have any pictures?

OP
R

RossL

Country flag
RichBall said:
As Morris said they are pretty easy to rebuild.

Separating the valve from the mounting bracket will reveal a set screw on the back side. Remove this screw and work the valve cylinder from the valve body. You’ll probably see a lot of crud and a worn out O-ring. Clean things up a bit, pick up a new O-ring (NAPA) and you’re good to go. I had to use a wire brush and emery cloth on mine being carful of the brass. You'll also want to lube things up when you reassemble the valve. I use Mercruser outdrive grease since it’s made for use around water and heat, but you could use plain old plumbers grease from the hardware store. Slide the valve back together; replace the set screw, and your done.

Just like that, you’re done

I will try this

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Glad to hear your thinking of giving it a try. I think too many of us rush to replace an original part that could easily be repaired/refurbished with an inferior part that costs way too much money and will not last nearly as long. In this case the valve is not available, but a good example would be the Hazard switch in our cars. A lot of perfectly serviceable all be it dirt switches have been replaced when all it needed was a good cleaning.

If you take the valve rebuild on and run into trouble feel free to get hold of me. I will be at the NW Organization of Spriget Handymen in Transit gathering on Saturday, but will have my phone. I'll PM with the number.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
RichBall said:
Glad to hear your thinking of giving it a try. I think too many of us rush to replace an original part that could easily be repaired/refurbished with an inferior part that costs way too much money and will not last nearly as long. In this case the valve is not available, but a good example would be the Hazard switch in our cars. A lot of perfectly serviceable all be it dirt switches have been replaced when all it needed was a good cleaning.

Ha, my whole life is made up of repairing old stuff and using it again and again. My grand-kids even said when little Grand-paw can make it work.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Bill. Old as dirt now, 73.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Kim

The valve we are talking about here (I thought) is the valve mounted on the right of the heater box that controls the flow of coolant into the heater

The switch from the dash runs a cable to a flapper valve in the air inlet of the hearer box. I'm not sure what magic MG used to have that valve control air flow to the vents or defrosters, but it is not connected to the heater (coolant) valve. It must just be a flow/volume thing.

On the other hand, MGB's do have a control on the dash that does control the coolant flow to regulate temp

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
jlaird said:
Ha, my whole life is made up of repairing old stuff and using it again and again. My grand-kids even said when little Grand-paw can make it work.

Jack

I have a sign in the garage that Susan and my Granddaughter Mackenzie made for me that reads Grandpa's Garage, We Fixed It! And now that my Grandson Logan is a little older (3) I swear the first thing he says when I see him is "Grandpa, you fix this” Man that kid is tough on toys.

My latest infection/obsession/addiction besides the Midget is resurrecting old vintage machinery. I already have some, that pen I turned for you was on a 1939 Craftsman lathe, but I need/want more. The latest one is a Powermatic 143 bandsaw that needed new bearings. I've had it and the parts for months, just haven't had the time.

If anyone is at all interested go check out www.vintagemachinery.org and its sister site www.owwm.org (old wood working machines).

Oh and by the way, Happy Birthday!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
heh, thanks. Wife loves her pen. That was a fine idea. Thanks