• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Heater removal in TR3

M

Member 10617

Got in my car yesterday and immediately saw a puddle of coolant on the floor of the passenger side! Ugh!

When I looked under the dash, I saw that the leak was coming down the heater hose that attaches to the top of the heater. Looks like I have to tighten the clamp or replace the hose and clamp at that location. In either case, I'll need to drop the heater down and out to get to the connection.

I've been told that dropping the heater is not a difficult procedure, but I have also read somewhere on this forum that it is NOT simple.

As I understand it, I need to (a) remove the heater hoses from the connections (right and left) on the inside of the firewall, (b) remove screws holding the heater to the braces under the dash, (c) detach the wires, (d) and remove the heater. But do I have to do anything to the braces themselves, which seem to be in the way of dropping the heater down? I'd rather not monkey around with them if they don't need to be moved out of the way.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The good news, if you see the leak on the hoses, then it is not the heater core. The pipes for the core come straight up, so any leaks in the core will never make it to the hoses. So, it has to be the hose or a clamp.

You may be able to get to the clamps and hoses without removing the core. Take out the glove box, remove the anti-fog hoses, and you should at least be able to see what's going on on top of the heater.

_DSC5920.jpg

_DSC5928.jpg

Good luck,

John

Britishautobody

Jedi Hopeful
Brings back memories of my 7hr Ford Explorer heater core job a month or so ago...Ugh!! The entire dash had to come out as did the entire heater box and fan assy under the hood. It is about as bad as a Volvo wagon I tackled years ago as I recall. Why these knuckle heads can't make a part easier to replace is beyond me..

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you do find that you need to drop the heater, then I believe removing one of the braces is required. Fortunately they are very easy to remove, just 4 screws. Also don't forget the nut inside the engine compartment, that holds the heater bracket to the firewall.

But for just tightening one of the connections on top of the heater, I don't think you need to disconnect the hoses from the firewall connections.

Another thing that might help is to remove the cushion from the passenger seat, and lay down a piece of plywood or thick carpet instead. That will give you a smoother surface for shinnying in and out, plus a bit more room to work.

SPACER

Great post & pics, guys.
On a related note, is it possible to lubricate the fan motor either in position or out?

Thanks,
Bob

OP
M

Member 10617

Randall,

Yes, the leak was coming from the top of the heater unit and was dripping down the hose. It doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere in the heater. Good news, indeed.

I will remove the glove compartment and take at the hoses and clamps. Hopefully, as you suggest, I may be able to correct things easily.

In the meanwhile, I have installed a bypass hose from one side of the engine to the other, bypassing the heater altogether until I can get it fixed. No heater, but that's not a problem yet.

Many thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
SPACER said:
On a related note, is it possible to lubricate the fan motor either in position or out?

It can be lubricated, but requires removal of the heater from the car, motor from the heater, and as I recall, disassembly of the motor.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The parts:

_DSC5888.jpg

_DSC5887.jpg

It's just little bronze bushings that hold the armature shaft. Not much to them, but a good bit of disassembly to get to them.

John

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You know what...scratch that! I just found this pic:

_DSC5892.jpg

The shaft sticks up on the top, so you could lubricate it from the top with the heater in place...and you may be able to "shoot" some lube from a can through one of the lower vents to get the lower bearing.

Not sure it will work...but it is worth a try!?

John

OP
M

Member 10617

John,

Many thanks for the tip on how to attack this problem. I did as you suggested: I removed the glove box and there, leading to the top of the heater, were the two heater hoses. Some thinking person left the clamps aimed in the direction of the golve box, so all I had to do was tighten the clamps and stop the leak. Then I drove the car a bit to evaporate any fluid that had dripped into the heater. In no time I had the glove box back in place and the problem was fixed. Excellent heat and no steam. And I didn't have to drop the heater or remove the anti-fog hoses.

THANKS.