• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey b;ue help

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Getting ready to paint my 100/6 and cannot find any scoop on Healey blue! Called PPG with the BU-02 code and the IC code (I think) and they were no help at all, claiming they couldn't go back that far. Recently I met another AH owner who had his AH painted blue and it looked very correct and he admitted it was a Cadillac color but couldn't remember the year. Who out there knows of a close match of the original. I am painting the whole car, not trying to match up old panels. My car was originally blue and white, not sure but this time it may be all blue. Thanks, Bob

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Bob

Just had mine done in Butane Blue which is one of the newer Chrysler colors. That combined with Chryslers ivory white make a very close matchup. Send me your email addy and I'll send you some pics!

DT

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
R&R Paint Supply in Long Beach, CA. Ask for Dick. They mix the paint based upon a formulation that they developed 20 plus years ago that is spot on. Drop me a an email if you cannot locate them and I'll dig into my records and find the number. Not cheap paint but very good.
Randy '66 BJ8

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
There is an ICI code for "Ice Blue Metallic." Don't have it right now. One thing to remember, if you're going to a base/clear system, which most do these days, you're out of original anyway. The subject of "the" Healey Blue has generated vast amounts of discussion. What I remember is that the actual colors from the factory varied, so much so that it is rumored that the dealers did not display two Healey Blue cars side by side, because the differences would be obvious, and one or the other would be considered "wrong." When you do pick your color, have the body shop spray up a sample, then take it to a Healey Blue car of your choice at an outside event, and see what you think. Then enjoy the fun when you too display your baby side by side with another Healey Blue example, and debate the subject of which is "correct."

Another favorite trick is to find an original spot on your chassis, usually under the scuttle, that has not been subject to weather, and have it matched by computer. An important part, though, is not just the color, but the size of the metallic chips. They vary considerably.

In the long run, though, the exact color match is not nearly as important as the quality of the body panel fitmnet and the quality of the paint finish. See Ashmuly's recent thread about body shop problems, and thickness of bondo. Almost invariably, getting your car painted as and when you like will be the most frustrating part of your restoration process. But do pay attention here. Not very many people will care whether the spring washers are squared off or modern, or whether the piping is just so on the seats, but everyone will note your paint job, goood or bad.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Healey Blue ala Glasurit

bcargbu2:

D769 391.5
D742 55.0
D750 24.8
D759 18.1
D749 10.3
D753 7.8

Bear in mind that there are at least 3 shades of Healey Ice Blue.

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ahh, perhaps I led the troops astray. I am not looking for perfection or concurs accuracy. I am painting in MY garage with single stage urethane. If someone would have said: "A 67 Chevelle is fairly close" that would have been sufficient. I do not feel comfortable picking a color out from a .5 X 1 chip in a book. Money Pit, I will take a look at that Chrysler color. Thanks to all, Bob

Actually I have a partial label the PO used to paint the chassis. It is "stari13947" and appears to be a PPG product. It includes the tinting guide similar to the one in an above reply. I didn't realize it included the mfgr as that was burried under a paint covered logo! Maybe i'm good to go? B

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
All the discussions are of metalic blue but I thought there was also a non metalic version supplied in the later models. Any comments?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
HI Bob, I to have a car that should be Healey Blue. I have been paying attention to the discussions on this subject because I must decide the same as you. One thing to take notice to is that one formulation of Healey Blue is much darker than most people think. I saw it at Watkins Glen last year and didn't like it. It appears to have more gray in it. My undercarriage has the original blue on it, so I can make a judgement pretty well based on that. GM (Pontiac, & Buick mostly) have a light blue metallic in the later 1980's that seems very close. Including the size of the metallic chips. A Ford Crown Victory or LTD of more recent years also seems close. The Crysler colour to me has much finer metallic than I believe is appropriate. It also may be to light/bright, maybe, depending on the year. If I had to pick a colour right now I would go with the Pontiac, Buick or Ford Colours. One reason is because I like them more than anything else I've seen. Another is for shear convenience to buy it now and match it later.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Dave C.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
All the discussions are of metalic blue but I thought there was also a non metalic version supplied in the later models. Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope Frank, there was not a non metalic version of Healey Blue.Fwiw---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Ralph F.

If you can find an older listing for Jaguar colors, there is an ice blue that is a very good match to the original Healey blue- we matched a paint chip against the original paint under the windshield cowl, and it looks "correct", at least to my eyes.