• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A head bolts on a tr3

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The installation of head bolts on a tr3? What I am going to do is put a little non-hardening permatex on the stud when I put that in block and tighten the stud up to about 25 pounds. Let that set up for a couple of days and then put the head on and tighten the nuts down to about 100lbs in three stages. Does that sound like the contemporary approach. I am always open to new ideas, so any new input is always appreciated.
Sp53

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would love to see some input from those with experience on this (TR3 especially ), because I have always wondered what was right. The experts on TV will say use a little light oil on the threads and torque to the specifed number. Putting oil on somethin you want to hold seems counter productive.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh I hear yeh my old auto shop teacher maintained that the oil was put on to stop binding, so that the engine torque specifications would be accurate. However, I will tell you in those days they would not touch a sports car. Old LBCs do seem to be different. Anyways what I have been using in other application, to provide a liquid, is to use Indian Head Gasket Sealer. The stuff goes on watery, yet dries, and seals.
Sp53

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Putting oil on somethin you want to hold seems counter productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'hold' comes from the stretching of the stud as the torque is achieved, not friction between the threads of the stud & nut. Hence, oiling does not affect the grip but (as noted) gives a smoother movement for accurate torqueing. I use anti-seize and only have the studs in there finger-tight.

G

[ QUOTE ]

I use anti-seize and only have the studs in there finger-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that some of the anxiety comes from the fact that the block end of the head studs on the TR3 have course thread as opposed to the head studs on the TR6, which are fine thread. Seems the course thread would offer less purchase on the cast iron block than the fine thread. No?

Bill

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes Bill that and I am always afraid that things will rattle or vibrate loose, and it looks like the factory put something on there in the beginning. In addition, I have heard stories of antifreeze working its way up to the top. When I get home tonight, I will take a closer look to see if the longer studs go into a water jacket.
Sp53