• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Havin' a lousy week..

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Last Friday went for a good fun bike ride. Basically a low intensity "recovery ride" after several intense rides earlier in the week. Got to a roundabout took it about 25kmh not super fast and suddenly no bike under me and I slammed into the road. Bent the handlebar. Cracked my helmet. Fortunately the helmet did a good job protecting my head.. just a smallish scrape on my face an glasses. But I broke the top of my femur and now have a big nail and some other metal bits in my leg. Hopefully will be out of the hospital in a day or so. I was supposed to be on vacation this week..

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. About a year and a half ago someone hit me. I ended up with a broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff, a couple of cracked ribs and a concussion. If it wasn’t for my helmet I probably wouldn’t be here.
I just completed an 18 mile ride so your post is timely. Be careful and keep your helmet on!
Here’s my helmet from my accident.

58C23FFA-E578-4110-911F-23BA64E42478.jpeg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Of *course* it happens during vacation week!

Yisroel - what caused the bike to stop? It hit a curb, brakes locked, etc.?

Sey gezunt.
Tom M.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've ruined three or four bike helmets with my head inside them. So far, the head is still working well, but not sure I'd know.

The one time I was carted off in an ambulance, the Regina freewheel on my 60s-era Hetchins bike broke, at the top of a pedal stroke, and I lost control. Fortunately, I only broke a couple ribs and had the predictable scrapes and bruises. I refused all pain meds so I could have a badly needed beer when I got home.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hurts just to read that.
Now get back on the bike (That's what "They" say).

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yisroel - what caused the bike to stop? It hit a curb, brakes locked, etc.?

Sey gezunt.
Tom M.
I don't think the bike stopped.
Rather I was gently leaning into long turn (on the roundabout) and the wheels and the wheels just suddenly lost all traction and the bike slid out to the side.
I must have stopped instantly. If I had slid on the road there should have been road rash. But I only have two tiny scrapes.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Having metal in you sucks, but it's better than the alternative. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Dam* Yiz!! Just pay attention to doctors' orders. As we age, it takes longer to self-heal!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Well the week has improved... they let me go home. I can also hobble around and actually they want me to walk as much as possible. Next week start PT at home.
Glad to hear! Hope you have a complete and fast recovery.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Continued progress!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My sis n law went over the handlebars, cracked helmet, in hosp for 2 days, lost hearing in left ear and now has implant to hear. You are alive and lucky. As Doc says, takes us longer to heal.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My sis n law went over the handlebars, cracked helmet,
When I was in High School (I think a Senior), I rode my Peugeot 12-speed bike down to the local U-tot-em (about 1 mile away) to pick up a couple items for my mother. For some reason, I decided to put my head down and really crank as fast as I could to get there as fast as possible. With my head mostly down, and only looking up every now and then, I managed to not see a 69 Camero that was black and parked on the street right in my path. I didn't even realize what had happened at first when I hit the rear of that car full speed. I went over the handlebars and over the car and landed on my bum if front of the car. I was REALLY lucky I wasn't hurt more seriously (was not wearing a helmet). The one big injury I had was a nice hole in my shin from when my leg hit the small, thin, circular shift lever as I went over the bike. I still have that lovely scar.