• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Off Topic Haven't posted lately

GaryBeu

Banned
Hey Ya'll...I've visited on here every day (can't seem to stay away) :smile:. Haven't been able to drive or work on the MGB lately due to changing the timing belt in my Miata...WHAT A PITA !! I've reached the cussing and tool throwing stage more than once on this job. PO, of course, did a few strange things that had to be corrected AND I've never done this job before. Now putting it back together and hoping it starts. I've learned a lot and wouldn't mind doing another one now. The MGB ~almost ~ left me on the side of the road due to a leaking clutch slave cylinder so that's my next project...will most likely have questions :smile:. Anyway, hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. Gary

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good to hear from you Gary -- ah, the "cussing and tool throwing stage," a well known state of mind. At least I've managed to avoid the tool-throwing part, too hard to find them later. :grin:

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I've almost lost a few tools :smile:

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Gary, I changed the timing belt and water pump on my '92 Miata two years ago. Would you believe 11 hours ! I admit i did everything at least twice and sometimes three to make sure it was right. I got some good directions from a fellow here on the Triumph site, pictures and all (I don't have a shop manual). Sure hope you did the water pump while you were in there, no sense doing the labor double if the pump goes out in the next year or two. Bob

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think I just heard a scream from the northwest corner of my yard, in direction of KY.

Wayne

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Bob...I did do the water pump. Only thing I have to do now is put the valve cover back on tomorrow morning and then...see if she starts !! Setting the cams was the hardest part (other than fixing the problems from the PO). We sure hope we got it all set properly...We'll see tomorrow.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Gary, not sure what kind if instructions you had but my directions detailed how to set an open end wrench on the flats of EACH cam and then lock the open end wrenches together with vise-grips so the cams couldn't move! Worked like a charm to keep the timing right where it was when it came apart. Only had to make sure the "dots" were lined up before I started dis-assembly. Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good for you, Gary! Nothing beats getting 'intimate' with the car you count on for transport.

As for that clutch slave, it'll be MUCH simpler than the belt. Two "ahead of time" things to do: soak the fitting at the chassis where the solid line couples to the flex one in weasel pee (down the hard pipe to the ferrule along with the threaded areas), and get line wrenches to fit those. Change the flex line along with the slave.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i once had a civic you needed to remove the wheel and the crack shaft pully before you could even take the cover off. HAd to find a friend with a air gun. That was frustrating. Though it almost never had to be done AND i could get 45 mpg plus on flat roads.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks for the advice Doc...I'll follow your instructions :smile:. WillR...The crank pulley, etc. has to come off of the Miata also. THAT was an interesting job. Bob...my belt broke while I was driving so I had to line up both cams and the crank to get them set...with valve spring pressure the cams were sorta tough to get set up properly. The good news is that I drove her 175 miles today and she runs stronger than ever..no complaints so far. Maybe part of the 'running better' could be that the #2 and #3 new spark plugs are now tight instead of the ~almost~ finger tight ones that the PO had in there :smile:.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
congrats on taking a hand in improving your own slice of heaven.