• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hauling it!

xbimmer

Have just purchased a 14 ft. wooden deck trailer with a 2 ft. dove tail to haul the "beast" on. What seems to be the best method of tying it down. There seems to be very few places of attachment. I'm thinking of using a web that goes over the tires....any better ideas? What do you use? If I use D-rings in the floor I would need a plate under the flooring to secure it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go to any autoparts store or Kmart or walmart and get the smaller tie down straps, think about 12 bucks or so for 4.

Have steel hooks on each end and a ratched device to keep em tight. They are pleanty long. Cross strap and a bit of an angle away from the car so it is locked in place.

Enjoy.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
I tie them down with a strap or chain to each of the tow rings in the front and two ratchet straps, crossed (to control sideways movement) and angled back attached to the rear spring hangers.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Used the ratchet straps on a GT and it went without a hitch.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Chain the back axle and use a GOOD 3" wide front rachet strap.
I have lost 2 off the trailer so far due to cheap asian made whimpy tie downs. It's a chain and a GOOD tie down from now on.

Gearhead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I second Spritenuts post spend the $ on a good/better strap tie down sets now you will be glad you did, I came very close to loosing a car off of a trailer its not very much fun try to reload a chassis on the side of the road

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
I would remove the wood and replace it with diamond plate. Wood will rot and rust the trailer frame. Leave the deck open in the center and it will be lighter than wet wood.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But but if it is open you get road dirt, hehe.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
2 tie downs front, 2 in back, safety of not losing the car. About the open center, somewhere you will want to haul something with 3 wheels. On most trailers you can attatch to the frame pretty easily. Also make sure you have 2 chains to your tow vehicle. I know of someone who didn't, lost his trailer and logsplitter and ended up knocking down a light pole.

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
Here's mine. Very light, open center.

Attachments

• 289450-IMG_6477.JPG
    289450-IMG_6477.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
I probably say, I got alteast 20,000+ miles towing cars in open and enclosed trailers. Here's my advice on tie downs, forget what you find locally in most areas, they are a joke.
You want some 3" wide rachet style with safety closed hooks on the end and while you at get about 4 axle straps they come in handy, Racer Wholsale is a good place to find these. Towing with open hooks is a invitation for diaster. Oh and if you have good tie downs, you can tow in neutral and not beat the crap out of your tranny, for me with $5K racing trannys, that's pretty important /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Shealey, that's a nice looking little trailer. I'm thinking of trying to get something similar made/found next year.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shealey, I'll have one as well pls.