• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hardtop question...and headlights..and vac lines

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, so my 6 came with one of those nastly looking snug tops...But I put it on for now because it's gunna be outside all winter. Now, I've removed the entire convertiable top and frame(for repairs) and no brackets came with the hardtop(except for the header brackets) How should the rear of the hardtop mount? Will my old Spitfire factory hardtop brackets brackets work?

Secondly: I noticed one headlight is VERY dim...Haven't looked at it yet, but will tomorrow...any thoughts?

Thirdly: Where can I get a diagram showing how to run the vacuum lines? This is a 75 but doesn't have that big black canister up by the rad, I didn't see any other pollution stuff either.

PeterK

Yoda
Headlight dim is usually a poor ground, try wiggling the light housing to see it it brightens up; if so, remove and clean to get a good ground all the time. Same thing happened on my 3A so I removed and replaced the light housings and all is good now.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks Peter, thats what I figured....I went out and hit the lamp a couple times with my hand and it brightened up..I clean the ground tomorrow.

Also another question: Seat belt retractor, whats the usualy problem with thses?(alot of people seam to have trouble) I got one not retracting.....And a additional belt on the back deck area for the P.O's dog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

D

DougF

If you have a Roadster Factory blue TR6 spare parts catalog, it has a good diagram of vaccuum lines.

D

DougF

The seat belt retractor corrodes inside. If I remember correctly, it's an aluminum-steel electrolysis problem.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Can I take the retractor apart and "de-corrode" or is it junk? I think I might have that Roadster Factory catalog, I'll look around. Thanks for the help.

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: Hardtop question...and headlights..and vac lin

The hardtop has brackets that fasten to where the covertible top is fastened. They're like two poles that the hard top sits on. Also, the header rail fastens to the windscreen with two bolts.

D

DougF

The retractor can be taken apart. Good luck getting it back together. When I did it years ago, the spring sprung all over the place. I didn't take the time to attempt reassembly.
The belting material would need replaced because of age. Few, if any, companies would be willing to make this repair due to liability.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda

Well I got the hardtop on...I ended up using brackets from a spitfire hardtop...not sure if they're the same, but they work none the less. Got the headlight fixed too. It's coming together pretty good, still gotta figure out the vacuum lines - but next weekend will be warmer.

Tomster

Jedi Knight

You can dispense with actual mounting brackets for the lid.
These originally came with round end eye bolts that tied down to the windshield and the two side brackets by the seats. You may want to check that there is adequate foam in the two back corner runs that contact the body.