• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hardtop finally complete!!

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
(Also posted on The 6-Pack.org website)

Well fellas, after almost three years of collecting parts, I finally have finished with my hardtop. After I got it back from the paint, I've spent nearly two weeks working at night installing the trim, headliner, weatherstripping and glass....and lets not forget to mention adjusting the windows... which took three days to get "sorta ok".

The headliner is actually fabric (as opposed to the vinylish stuff that was originally installed) sourced from John Skinner in the UK, its the same stuff that they use for Jag headliners. I think it was a bit more difficult getting it to look good, but it looks amazing in person.

Since the window channels on each side of the hardtop had a rust on them, I had the body shop cut out all the cancer and weld in new metal, for all practical purposes, its a new hardtop... although the metal work blew any semblance of a budget I might have had.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty good:

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

TR4

Jedi Knight
Looks like a perfect fit. Well done........

Did the car come with the hardtop or did you add it? Just curious how hard it would be for me to add one to my 4.

dklawson

Yoda
Shannon, EXCELLENT work. I currently am working on a hardtop for our project Spitfire so this is excellent to see. It's good to know what the end result will (may) look like!

It sounds like you made your own headliner. I'll probably be sewing up one for our car but using vinyl. Any tips you have regarding the headliner and fitting the bows will be greatly appreciated.

V

vagt6

Nice job, Shannon. You obviously pay close attention to details, it really shows.

I think the hardtop really sets a TR-6 off. Makes it look like a real road car!

Really beautiful, good show! :yesnod:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sweet!! Where did you get those side mount brackets? I think that you told me once, but I've lost the info. Now seeing them installed makes me a believer.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul,

I got them off of eBay. The seller is "car11_69tr6". He sells a lot of alloy stuff for triumphs. I bought the entire mounting kit from him since I didn't have any of the parts.

-s

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I know him. He rebuilt/polished my wiper motor assembly for me a few years ago. I did buy some other stuff from him too.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Shannon,
Very nice! An inspiration.
I'm still working on mine. 2+ years. Fortunately mine didn't have any rust, but it's still an expensive envdeavor. I had it painted last spring. During the summer the paint shrunk revealing less than acceptable prep work. The repaint looks much better. I have all the seals and hardware. Just waiting for a friend to make up a headliner. I plan to use Sunbrella which is basically the same material used to make the Sunfast tops. I also need to get the chrome trim for the sides and the rear. Did you have the original strips? Or did you buy replacements?

Note to anyone who is considering a hardtop. Try to get one that is as complete as possible. Between seals, trim, hardware paint and a headliner you are looking at between $800 and $1000. Add that to the cost of the top and you can see why the asking prices for a good top are so high. I've been watching for a rear glass to buy as a spare. Nothing has shown up in over an year.

I'll post pictures when I finish mine.

BOBH

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR4 said:

Did the car come with the hardtop or did you add it? Just curious how hard it would be for me to add one to my 4.

TR4,

To my knowledge, it never had one on it until now. I bought this one from Craigs list.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob is 100% right. Buy the best, most complete one you can afford. I spent three years getting Christmas presents to finally get all of the trim and weatherstripping, so I don't have that much of my personal money in that stuff, but it still had had to be bought. For the paint, I sold parts and saved up.

All the trim, weatherstripping, mounting hardware and headliner are new. The only items that I didn't have to source was the glass and headliner rods.

-s

bobh said:
Shannon,
Very nice! An inspiration.
I'm still working on mine. 2+ years. Fortunately mine didn't have any rust, but it's still an expensive envdeavor. I had it painted last spring. During the summer the paint shrunk revealing less than acceptable prep work. The repaint looks much better. I have all the seals and hardware. Just waiting for a friend to make up a headliner. I plan to use Sunbrella which is basically the same material used to make the Sunfast tops. I also need to get the chrome trim for the sides and the rear. Did you have the original strips? Or did you buy replacements?

Note to anyone who is considering a hardtop. Try to get one that is as complete as possible. Between seals, trim, hardware paint and a headliner you are looking at between $800 and $1000. Add that to the cost of the top and you can see why the asking prices for a good top are so high. I've been watching for a rear glass to buy as a spare. Nothing has shown up in over an year.

I'll post pictures when I finish mine.

BOBH

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
TR4 said:

The TR6's came factory ready for the top. The windscreen and the rear deck have two mounting points each not on the 4's. You would have to modify those areas on your car to accept the mounting bolts, as well as fabricating the hold down mounts on the B posts. Otherwise, I see no reason it would not fit.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still need to get the assembly for behind the door

if we get together we can look like xmas

red & green

DSC04457.jpg