• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

H button - what should it be connected to?

Cookie

Dear all

I've got a H button on the dash of my 71 Sprite but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've followed the cable that it's connected to and it goes to the top of the heater box under the hood but it must be broken. The heater has got a valve that turns the heater on and off and I am assuming this works fine, it's on at the moment and that suits me but it would be good to turn it off from inside the car when I've got a passanger. Is the H button the control to do this? If not what does it do and how easy would it be for me to mend?

Ooh - so many questions...

Cheers!

Melissa

Country flag
It controls the air flap that allows(or blocks) air flowing through the heat flaps/demisters.

OP
Cookie

Cookie

I've got an electronic switch on the right of my dash that seems to do this - is this in addition?

Country flag
The switch turns the fan blower on/off, but the H-knob opens/closes the air passage.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is also a valve right at the back of the valve cover that opens and shots to allow water/coolant to go into the heater core. You can shot off the valve in the summer to help to keep from toasting your legs.

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Jim, think I've found the valve on the top of the heater, is that the one that screws up and down?

Joe - Are there? I'm off to investigate! I may need more direction though if I can't find them!

Cheers :eek:)

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Ha ha thanks Joe - so there are - and there's one missing in the passenger side - just a gaping hole, so that's why my mom complained so much about the heat, ...and I thought that she was over-reacting! So what are they called then? I'll have to get on the lookout for a replacement one!

Ooh I love my car - so many fun things to find out. So what other secrets is she holding that I don't know about - and I don't mean the worn clutch!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cookie said:
So what other secrets is she holding that I don't know about - and I don't mean the worn clutch!
As you must know, a lady never reveals all her secrets.
grin.gif

One good thing for you to do is get hold of Moss Europe (I assume by the West Midlands location that you are in the UK) and get one of their catalogs. Even if you don't order anything from them, they're a great view of just about every part on the car.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/

I use the Moss US catalog often as much as my shop manuals for views on how a component goes together.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Block off that duct hole into the passanger foot well for the summer with a bit of duct tape. Hmmm, that sounds about right, duct tape for the duct hole.

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Well thank you everyone! A pair went on ebay for silly money but it looks as though I've tracked one down - along with everything else I need from a chap in Derbyshire. With luck we'll get some sun so we can enjoy a run into the countryside! Great tip re the moss catalogue for how things should look - will have to get my hands on one.

Cheers! :eek:)