• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Guess the Car...

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
A couple of pictures that have shown in Flickr lately, I haven't decided 100% what they are...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36198368@N00/1337407/

Definitely an old import, very possibly British, I'm leaning towards a Rover P4 myself... Picture was taken in Washington State.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/firemind/1363409/

Can't quite figure this one out... doesn't look like any of the big three American, maybe an oddball import or British car? Picture was taken in Victoria, B.C. where lots of unusual British cars reside.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't know about the first one. The second one is an Olds 88 - looks like a 2 door, maybe a hardtop rather than a sedan, from the looks of it. The year is around '54 or '55.

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda
James, the first one looks almost like a 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe. The roof line doesn't look high enough to be a P4, and didn't they have the divided rear window?
Jeff

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
No idea on the first, but will echo Mickey on the second - definitely an Olds 88 (the Olds 88 logo kinda gives it away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The "Rocket 88" definitely gives away the Olds. It's like showing a galloping mustang, a prancing horse or crossed corvette flags.

Now, for the first one, it's hard to tell because it's so small. It's small and funny looking like a Renault Dauphine or a Goggomobil, but the taillights aren't right...and this is an "other British car," I'm guessing from the forum selection.

I'll have to noodle on the first one to try to place it.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Well...

I never claimed to be an expert on identifying American cars anyway...

That first one is kind of hard to tell, maybe it is a Plymouth, maybe it isn't... I guess I thought it looked too small to be American, but then in the picture itself it is the smallest object so could be bigger than I think it is.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK, not to be picky, but how can you tell the difference between a '55 Olds and a '54. They look the same to me, but I'm sure there's a difference. Just to check, I looked at a couple on ebay, and didn't see any difference from the rear. Anyone?

Mickey

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I knew I wasn't crazy... That was the first thought in my head when I first saw that picture a few days ago

Where does one find a picture of the back end of an early Rover P4? Had a heck of a time, did find this one...

hayfld2.jpg

Almost seems to fit the bill

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Mickey,

IIRC the tail light lenses on the 55 are "heavier" and have a more robust look. It's kinda subtle but pretty obvious once youve seen the difference.

Mike

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Mike. Usually when there was a body carried over, there were minor trim differences. I couldn't remember that one. Another one for the "useless information" file!

Mickey

Biffy

The first one looks a like an Austin Cambridge to me. No idea about the second one though

Attachments

• 89671-whatcar.JPG
    89671-whatcar.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 97
OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Biffy...

If you take a peek not far back in the thread we seem to be 99% certain that the first car is a Rover P4 - probably an early "cyclops", but then feel free to disagree if you feel so led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
Yes it is the infamous Cyclops.........Rover 75 .....1949 -52....Where stylists determined to keep Rover's customary 3 front light system in place won out over the engineers and along with the decorative grille surrounding the central light, effectively blocked off most of the cooling air to the rad and was renounced after 3 years......That configuration was coincidently also on The Jet1 Rover car (their first turbine car).....The early model P4 had the smaller rear window and in 1955 the Rover 90 had the 3 part rear window ...........The early 75 models used basically my P3 engine design with lighter aluminum heads shaving 30lbs,chromium-plated cylinder bores(only Rover and Rolls Royce had these) and twin SU carbs instead of the single Solex