• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 engine compartment valences

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
I recently acquired a 1972 GT6. It is my first Triumph and my question is about the radiator and engine compartment shrouds (referred to as valences by VB). They are made of cardboard. After 30 some years, the cardboard is in pretty bad shape. I am considering replacing it with aluminum. If anyone has done this replacement, I would appreciate your observations on the results, such as noise, vibration, etc.

pei

Hi Roger,
I have installed aluminum in my GT6+1970. I took the old shrouds to a tinsmith and he cut and broke new ones with safety edges and a double lip on top to replace the metal on the cardboard ones. I had to do some trimming to fit around the firewall, and the altenater is close to top edge on the drivers side. No noises or rattles, and it looks much better then the old cardboard.
Joe

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your old ones are good enough to make a template from, you may want to think about masonite (hardboard) instead of aluminum. I have seen them cut from hardboard, then painted with an epoxy paint for waterproofing (particularly the edges), and mounted. Its easy to work with, you don't need a 'frame' for it (like the cardboard) because its stiff enough, or a rolled edge (like the aluminum) for safety. Its easy to 'trim' a bit if you need to fiddle-fit, and you can drill mounting holes in it directly, so no brackets.

I have heard of folks also coating the masonite with fibreglass for waterproofing, added strength, and a better textured look, then spray painting to match whatever colour you need.

If they're bolted in securely, there should be no rattle with either aluminum or hardboard.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
i'm going to go with aluminum personally, but i'll still have to get some valences still since mine didn't come with any.

on a side note, i just came into a 1972 gt6 too, so keep in touch. gt6 owners are few and far between, and mostly ones with similar models it seems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

OP
R

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks very much for your help. I think I will go with aluminum because there is a bend that I don't think I can make work with hardboard (masonite). If they turn out, I will post some pictures of the results.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Roger, the bend is easily duplicated using Masonite. You just need to bend two pieces of aluminum or steel at the appropriate angle, leaving about a 1" flat on each leg. Then rivet the two sections of masonite together using these pieces at the joint.
Having said this, I've got brand new cardboard ones for mine, but will probably be making some from aluminum in the future. Hmmmmm... I've got some Titanium sheet stock left, maybe that would be better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
Jeff