• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Got my next project

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Emma's shocks came today. John says it takes him an hour to do it or less.

I can do shocks, right?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Front, rear or both?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Front.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hmmm. Let John fight 'em. You CAN do 'em, but: coil spring must be compressed and it requires a better method than just jackstands. The center bolt will likely be cantankerous too. And a second set of hands to help (or call for help) would be on the "necessary tools" list. He says an hour per side... That's fair and you avoid a guaranteed struggle on this one.

Judges??

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
No, John's not doing them. Either I do them or Chuck does them.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
It's do able with a floor jack and jack stands. just gotta be careful not to let the swivle axel assy to just fall away when you pull that top fulcrum pin out. There's potential to snap the flex brake line.

Took liberal use of a BFH to remove the fulrum pin to release my axel assys from the upper wishbones.

I wouldn't exactly call it a fun project, but I've also done worse. The swivel axel assy can be a bit of a handful if your working alone. I think I'd rate this at about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult. Only because it has potential to be bad if safety isn't well tended to.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Agreed. And I'll re-emphasize the bit about two people. It's a handful. "Mechanic's wire" is a good thing to have handy to help hold the upright from doing what Rob describes. It's kinda like wrasslin' a fifty pound slinky. Plenty of places to grab it but it moves a different direction each time you do. Plenty of PB Blaster on hand? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
It can be a one person job, but I would not suggest a grasshopper like yourself to do it alone. Instead of spraypaint in your face you could get a whole coil spring!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
ARGH! Who let you in here?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Its just not that big a deal - even a first-timer can do it if they follow their Bentley! Flor jack under the lower spring perch compresses spring nicely & keeps it there....biggest thing will be getting the bolt out of the upper trunnion & will probably necessitate new bolt & bushings.....common sense says watch the brake caliper hose so it doesn't stretch or break....other than that, its no big deal!

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
ARGH! Who let you in here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been here longer than you but forgot my password after 2 years of inactivity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I forgot my password!
If you have forgotten your password, dont worry! You can very easily have a temporary password emailed to you. All you need to do is go to the login page of the forums and enter your Username in the Username field. Then click the button marked I forgot my password, and a temporary password will be emailed to the email address of the username you registered.

If you don't remember your user name, you can altenatively enter just your email adddress in the email field and click the I forgot my password button.

This process is safe because the password is only emailed to the original owner of the account. There is no way to steal the password by using this feature.

Once you get logged in using your tempoaray password, you can go to your My Home page and edit your profile where you can change your password to whatever you want. Note that your password will be encrypted and even the administrator can't see it.

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Basil was working on the server and my account was lost.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I see. Do you use that line on your teachers too?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I take it that a rebuild of these cannot be done while they are in the car or are they not re-buildable?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ease up on im Janel.

The Dog ate my homework works much better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We fellas have to stick together, eh David ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
They're rebuilt. Sent off, rebuilt, you send the old ones in like a core charge sort of deal. Worldwide, I think, is the place to have it done.

Can't ease up on him, waltese isn't around any more to pick on.

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
All I can say is ask Basil Janel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Handy, smart and funny too! (from a new member, and long time MG fan and former multiple MG owner) BTW, do the shocks!