• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

Goblin Pics

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I drove up the road 20 miles and found a spot with minimal cell phone coverage. I will try to post a couple of pictures here. Fingers crossed.

The forecast I had was for clear skies tonight but it does not look like that’s going to happen without a miracle. Right now there’s a lot of clouds in the sky and especially in the direction of the Milky Way.

If it does not clear up by about 8 PM I will probably just call it a bust. In the mean, Here are a couple of pictures from around this area. (Scaling down due to crappy

6DE6C6F9-DCCA-4E1A-8556-810F10919AA5.jpeg
C923BD7F-A949-4603-BDED-7C0A7CEEF861.jpeg
A885567E-B59C-46A5-8B43-352042D3538B.jpeg
7B37542A-DDCC-47C9-AF07-E9717DB531FD.jpeg
DD05ACC7-04F3-4EA0-BC8F-232800F64F16.jpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the poor night conditions.

Very cool! In that first shot, are folks CAMPING there?!?
The other three are some incredible geologic pix. Fourth one... rounded rocks. Glacial activity? Water erosion? Crazy stuff no matter the reason.

Thanks for the effort! (y)

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Good news! Like magic, by the time the Milky Way was visible (after nautical twilight), the sky had cleared up. I β€œthink” I got some good shots but need to get home and process them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great news! Lookin' forward to seeing the results.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Still working on m y post processing, but this is an example. Have some cleanup and additional processing to do. This is Wild Horse Bluff at night (It was so dark out I could not see my hand in front of my face, but this is 25sec exposure..

Goblin-trial-2 copy.jpeg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
That's pretty cool. What is going on in the lower right? It looks like the photo was printed on canvas.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That's pretty cool. What is going on in the lower right? It looks like the photo was printed on canvas.
This is a composite of 20 images stacked (all from exactly the same location and with same exposure settings. I'm trying to figure out what caused that weird checker pattern so I can correct it, Not sure yet what caused it, but has something to do with the stacking process I'm guessing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Could it be a similar effect to the way a Moire pattern is created by overlapping images? IOW, the pixels of the 20 images overlaid may "add up" to a pattern like that?

The image is amazing in any event.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Could it be a similar effect to the way a Moire pattern is created by overlapping images? IOW, the pixels of the 20 images overlaid may "add up" to a pattern like that?

The image is amazing in any event.
Thanks/ It could be something like that, but I’m hoping I can figure out how to stack the images and not have that happen

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
If you look at the stars, that may hold a clue. They seem to be longer horizontally. Except for the upper left where they are comma shaped. It could be camera movement, did you have the mirror set up to eliminate slap? Does reducing the number in the stack help? I would guess you've thought of these since you've done this more than me, just throwing ideas out there.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
The stars have slight trails due to the long exposure and the slight comma shapes in the corners are normal abberation for this lens. No I did not use mirror lockup but not sure how that woud cause such a weird pattern. Thanks for the ideas, and not ruling anythign out. I have not tried reducing the number of stacked images - maybe I'll give that a try.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
No I did not use mirror lockup but not sure how that would cause such a weird pattern.
My thought was if the camera moved from mirror slap at say #15, that might confuse the stacking program (if you were using auto align).

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My thought was if the camera moved from mirror slap at say #15, that might confuse the stacking program (if you were using auto align).
Not an implausible theory. I might try splitting the photos into 2 groups of 10 and stacking each separately and see of the problem persists on both sets or only on one set.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Okay, I'm an absolute babe-in-the-woods where it comes to the post-processing of digital images. But would not the foreground be more susceptible to changing its "location" in the 20 images than the middle (rock formation) or background (stars)? i.e. even with a wide-angle lens (and I'm guessing a 24mm here) the objects closest to the focal plane would be shifted more out of alignment than the more distant ones.

Again, just a WAG as to the cause of the foreground pattern.

EDIT: And I suspect a ten image overlay will either have the issue with all ten in each layered image (to a lesser extent) or no pattern. Not one of each.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Well, you know the old saying, when all else fails, RTFF (read the freakin' manual). In the "FAQ" section, there was a section "Why does my stacked image have a checker board or distorted checker board artifact?" Turns out the problem was that I had applied "Lens Correction" in Lightroom prior to exporting the images was TIFF files for the stacker program. Apparently that is not recommended as the process of applying the lens correction introduced these weird artifacts that are compounded when the images are stacked. The solution is to export the images without any lens correction in Lightroom, then apply that, if needed, to the final stacked image. Here is the result of my second attempt (with some additional Lightroom processing.

Goblin-3-2 copy.jpeg

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Striking and stunning difference! Congrats on the shot. It deserves to be printed large and framed for display. Effort rewarded! (y)

Basil said:
Milky Way pictures are fun to take except for the part where you're standing out in the pitch dark alone wondering what critters are watching you LOL!

Good pair o' boots for th' ground dwellers and a sidearm for the ones with furry legs?!?