• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Geo Metro Radiator - need thermostat housing

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
I'm putting in the Geo Metro Radiator as per Frank C. Does anyone have a thermostat housing from a cross flow radiator? it exits towards the left, and would be from 1968 on. If so, let me know the price.

If anyone's done this, also appreciate any hints/tips/tricks.

Thanks....

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
In looking on the Internet I searched for a radiator for a Geo Metro. I did find a 3 row Metro Radiator without a Transmission Cooler that was something like 12.75 x 13.Frank was using the one from an auto tranny car as it was like 17" tall vs. the standard tranny car at 19" smaller. I may be a little wronmg on those dimensions on stock Metro Radiators but a 3 row ran somethine like $120 and you would not need to modify the radiator shroud I don't think. Still need an electric fan though. Let me know how this turns out as I am planning to do the same for Bugsy my '68.

MikeMcKay

I recently did this on a 73 Midget. I used an electric fan from Hayden that was a thin type. I couldn't fit the fan that comes on the radiator in. The bottom half hits the steering rack. I also used the bottom half of a Geo Metro hose on the bottom with the other half the Midget hose with a hose coupling. I had a heck of a time trying to get the Midget hose on the bottom with the radiator in. Something to think about when it is hose change time.
I using a 180 deg F thermostat and it hangs right there. believe me it has been hot down here this summer. I have run it at 70-75 mph. I am using an aftermarket guage at the moment. My temp guage had went out. A Sunpro mechanical screws right in and for 18 bucks! Just hanging it underneath for the moment.
The radiator is an auto trans radiator and is a 2 pass. Trans hookups aren't in the way of anything. I couldn't find a 3 pass when I was looking last year. Where did you find one?

OP
BugeyeNJ58

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
There are two passes on sale from Specatra, new for $85. First think I'm going to do is put an electric push fan onto the existing radiator. If that's enough I'll stop there. Otherwise I'll put in the radiator and the fan.

If you fan now a puller, and did you remove the existing fan blades?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mike, I think if you used one of the Metro Style Radiators without the Trans Cooler it could sit lower and not bang up against the steering rack. Some of thise sites when you querry on Geo Metro Radiator give you additional options and that's where I found the 3 row in a 12.75 x 13 x 2 or 2.5" thick configuration.

I have an issue now with BE Bonnet on Bugsy my '68 where radiator shrould needed to be massaged a little in order to get additinal clearance for the BE bonnet. Nothing major jact a little tweak/ bending on the tips of the corners.

MikeMcKay

The radiator fit fine. Just the fan supports on the Geo Metro radiator are so thick that the it hit the steering rack. I think it is the way I mounted the radiator. The front cowl piece in front of the radiator doesn't allow you to move radiator further forward without cutting. A Bugeye doesn't have that piece. I wasn't interested in cutting anything up.
It could be the steering rack sits slightly different in these later cars. It looks like it may sit slightly higher than the 62 I have. I know the steering racks are different.
I took the engine fan off. It is too far a way from the Geo radiator when mounted.

OP
BugeyeNJ58

BugeyeNJ58

Jedi Hopeful
Jim, you have the fan mounted on the engine side, with it operating as a puller?
Any pictures available?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Send me an e-mail. I have two pics from Frank on his setup. He mentioned to me he only ued 2 legs on the stock radiator fan as one was hitting hte steering rack. His solution, cut one off and fabricate something later. He never got around to fixing it permanatly. Told me it worked just fine for 2 1/2 years and it was a "roundtoit" project.

thistle_3619@yahoo.com

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK those first two were the one's I had a copy of. Nice to see the other detail. Temps in Bugsy seem to have returned to normal. I discovered my top hose was loose and almost to the point of falling off. Source of coolant leak attributed to Dumb Present Owner screwdriver skill with a radiator clamp.

Bugsy has a 1098 with a Cross Flow Radiator. I am using the 1275 thermostat cover but the top hose really needs to make a tight angle and I was afraid the top hose was restricting water flow. I inserted a short piece of 45 degree copper pipe pipe along with a pair of radiator clamps so I now have a nice gradual bend there rather than a sharply bent rubber hose.

I have not had a chance to pull a 7-8 mile high speed + 65 mph run to see if overheating problem has been alleviated or not. As I look at lower hose which is under lots of suction it's possible that short hose could be collapsing on me at high sustained RPM's. THe one I have doen't look like a nicely curved hose and again may be due to position of lower outlet and cross flow radiator when used with a 1098.

PS Bugsy started life with a 1275 but received a 1098 transplant by previous owner.