• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gasoline Leak From Tank Sending Unit

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
I smelled gas around the back of my 77 B this morning and when I looked I found gas leaking from the sending unit area. At first I thought the seal between the tank and the unit might be bad. Closer examination however revealed something a little more bizarre. The gas is actually leaking out through the white nylon sleve that the wire to the sending unit plugs into. Apparently the gas is actually coming out around the spade terminal in the bottom of the sleve. Really the sad part about this is the sending unit was only installed this spring. Apparently this says a lot about the quality of the parts we are now purchasing. Is there anything I could squirt into this sleve to seal it off?

Regards John

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Really the sad part about this is the sending unit was only installed this spring.[/QUOTE]

Moss had lots of problems with them a year or so ago & stopped selling them until they got it solved...you may have one of those....I think they're offering them again.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Just put mine in last night. I filled up & as I did I kept looking for a leak. So far so good. I hope this is not a bad unit.

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
vping said:
Just put mine in last night. I filled up & as I did I kept looking for a leak. So far so good. I hope this is not a bad unit.

Got my fingers crossed from you brother. The really sad part about my situation is that I had just filled it up. Groan.........!!!!

Regards John

dklawson

Yoda
When the tank is empty enough to remove the sending unit, you could paint the area on the INSIDE of the sending unit around the nylon bushing with several coats of Aviation-Form-A-Gasket, OR you could lay down a single thick layer of Permatex-2B. If you choose to fix rather than replace, DO NOT use RTV for the repair. It is the wrong stuff to use on fuel systems.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
kyreb1862 said:
vping said:

Got my fingers crossed from you brother. The really sad part about my situation is that I had just filled it up. Groan.........!!!!

Regards John

That's an expensive sending unit.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
John - "The really sad part about my situation is that I had just filled it up. Groan.........!!!!" Just disconnect the line fromt he tank to thte pump and direct it into a gas can (you will need several). the fuel will syphon out of the tank, although it will take s fair amount of time. The other alternative is to disconnect the fuel line from the carburetors and direct it into a can, then turn on the ignition and lt the pump pump the fuel out (disconnect the wire to the coil so it doesn't over heat while you are doing this.
Cheers,

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Ok, I've figured out a solution ( at least temporary) to the leak problem. I found a piece of an old cork gasket in my shop. I pressed the cork against the end of the nylon tube and got the correct shape of the hole and the position of the spade terminal. I then cut the gasket to shape and made a slit in it for the terminal. I then pressed the cork gasket down into the hole and seated it firmly. So far so good no leaks. Keep your fingers crossed.

Regards John

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Do you happen to have a pic of this showing what you did. I can't guite picture it but need to have a plan of attack in case my starts a leaking.

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
I'll try to get a pic today. I took it for a drive last night and checked it when I got home and everything was still nice and dry. This could possibly be a good fix for the leaky sending units on the market.

Regards John

JacksonMG

Freshman Member
Doesn't Moss offer to replace the faulty sending unit? It seems that they sold you a defective part and they should make it right.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
True depending on time you've had it. I think they offer a 24 month but not sure what that covers.