• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Full day of work

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Had a great time today.
c7c8eee7d8fc14e27d33ba2e61f8cbb30_large.jpg

Put the carbs back together with all new stuff*, cleaned the header and scrubbed the block and popped the new studs in. Radiator and all new cooling lines tomorrow and all I'm waiting on now, is the head to come back from the machine shop all sparkly with new valves etc....
Hopefully I can get her started up while the weather is still in the 50's, if there are any problems, I still have a season to repair, but I don't anticipate any.
* Yeah, the carbs, still haven't put that throttle linkage on yet, I have new springs, carbs worry me.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy, that's good looking stuff. How's the rest of the engine room look?

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
How's the rest of the engine room look?

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, well, that's where I have a confession to make. It will look good, but until I can get a full strip, blast and paint, the engine bay will be freshly painted black and shiny. Probably with bed liner paint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
The cyl head and valve cover, both stock, will get the evil cleaner and aluminum gloss paint like the header did.
I've some grommets to replace in the firewall first.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice work, Barry. That exhaust manifold cleaned up nicely. I'll have to do that with the one for my 1275. Don't panic about the carbs. SUs have only a couple of adjustments, so there's only so much you can do wrong (or right for that manner).

You're shaming me -- haven't touched the Midget in quite a while. Maybe this week...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez Drew... It don't cost money to disassemble! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The car is as disassembled as it can get for now. Next step is to remove the engine and transmission. Need to line up a lift and a few friends for that. Don't want to pull the suspension bits until the engine is out. Hoping to have it all finished up by the end of November, so I can get the shell and extra parts on the way to new owners.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ah. I thought you'd have the "crew" assembled this weekend. But I understand: crane rental=$$...

Please pardon my rib jabbin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

pull the springs before you pull the motor, it is much easier to do when there is weight on them.

mark

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hadn't thought about pulling the springs first. Makes sense, though.

I'm hoping maybe to have some folks together for next weekend. Had to finish up some pre-winter projects around the house today, including putting away the motorcycle. Bummer. That's all cleared up now, so the calendar is open for some wrenching!

And no worries, Doc. I can take it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Take your time Drew ('specially if you've been under the weather), but too long (like me) that I've forgotten where things go and what parts are what. I spent 1/2 hour this morning scrubbing a pipe that I was going to re-use, but realized that I had a new one in a box. ~Trash~
P.S. That header was courtesy of Chem-dip & DupliColor 1200 degree engine paint.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Drew it looks good, I am jealous of the braided fueline, did you get that new?

As for the springs you'll be fine without the engine in it. Worse case is that you may need to use a few longer bolts on the outside to pull them in. I didn't have to, but just in case you can swing it later and keep your focus.

As I had mentioned before, go with the 1275 springs and if budget provides put in new ones with shims. 3/4 should work fine with new ones, but 1/2 will work good with used 1275 stock. The 3/4 can be made out of 1/2 ID square tubing, and the 1/2 can be bought from Moss (or made from the same). Put the offset trunion bushings in from Moss and you will squat out nice in the front.

If not you can do this in the future, but definitely, put the 1275 springs in with the engine in or out and see how she sits. It can be tweeked later.

Patrick

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's Barry's work, Patrick. My SUs still look like greasy piles of parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
VB # 1-067 for carb to carb and 1-066 for the fuel pipe to carb SS. Didn't see them in any other catalog.
Just shy of $10 ea, but they are a perfect fit.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't see them in any other catalog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stock them, Baz. Just like a LOT of other stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ed, I have a dumb question. How do we know what you carry. Am I just stupid or where do I find such on your web site if it is there?

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I was just reading in the MG forum about heat shields, mine is 'naked', does it have to be covered with something such as ceramic paint, or can it remain naked....?

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
naked? looks like you painted it. the heat shield is there to simply block the direct heat from the engine, so i don't think it has to be covered/protected with anything.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heat shealds on 948s and 1275s do not have any covering but for paint. The same color as the engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They originally had an asbestos "blanket" riveted to the underside. You can go to NAPA and get a piece of safer, more "modern" insulating material for replacement. They have it in rolls.