• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel sender gasket - replace w/full Tank?

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Greetings

I'm replacing my fuel sender gasket today. Is there any problem with replacing it while the fuel tank is full? And should I be using any type of gasket sealer or should I just drop it in dry?

I guess my concern is that the old gasket might flake apart and drop into the tank. Is this a valid concern?
Thanks
Randy

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Randy,that is a valid concern. All I can tell you is, be very careful with the removal and any good Fuel insenitive gasket sealer should be used .--Fwiw--Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
This is one location where I would NOT use Hylomar. In my experience, it makes the gasket so slippery that it's hard to keep the gasket from squeezing out of the joint, even with minimal tightening. Don't forget to seal the gasket on the top sender plate & the sender hold down screws.
D

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Randy,

I would opt to replace the gasket with the tank empty and out of the car. With the two tanks I've worked on the old gasket was old and brittle and required scraping and wire brushing to get down to a good surface. I wouldn't want to do that over an opening with gas fumes coming out for a few reasons (and I waited until my tank was cleaned and sealed so there were no more gas fumes to contend with).

I did use Hylomar on the cork gasket but only a thin smear on both sides and the screw threads. I didn't experience 'slippage' like Dave but YMMV. Whatever you use for a sealer, use it sparingly. I saw a picture once of someone who used so much hylomar on the sending unit that it looked like blue frosting on a cupcake. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Extra sealer getting into the fuel system is to be avoided. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Cheers,
John

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Dave - what would you use if not Hylomar? Or are you saying, don't use a gasket sealer at all?

Randy

bighly

Jedi Knight
Randy,

I had good luck using Sellador from permatex. Similar to hylomar

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Randy,
I've had good luck with Permatex Aviation FORM-A-GASKET. Let it set up a bit before putting things together. It never completely hardens & remains pliable. Definitely fuel proof.

Definitely use a sealer on tank gasket, top of sender gasket, & hold down screws.

As with all such projects, there is more than one way to get it done.

If the tank is too full it will leak out when you remove the sender. Especially if you put any weight on the top of the tank & compress it.
D

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I know everyone is talking about hylomar, but my experience is these cork gaskets seal pretty well for a good number of years.

If it starts leaking it's easy to get to and replace so fixing it w/o gasket sealer should be enough if you ask me.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Dave Russell said:
Randy,
I've had good luck with Permatex Aviation FORM-A-GASKET. Let it set up a bit before putting things together. It never completely hardens & remains pliable. Definitely fuel proof.

Definitely use a sealer on tank gasket, top of sender gasket, & hold down screws.

D

I have to agree with Dave, Permatex Form a gasket or the new high tack are both good. Good advise only applying to the sender itself rather on the bottom where it seals to the tank. Less work removing on down the road. Same advise on the thermstat housing gasket.

You might want to ground the sender unit to the chassis with a separate wire. The sender unit needs a good ground, not just the screws to the tank. The gas tank is usually insulated on the bottom and relies on the fuel line connection for ground. If you've added a fuel filter you have in effect cut off the ground.