• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel pump internal valve removal question

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I bought a few original lever style fuel pumps on eBay and sent them to Jeff at Micropolishing LLC for cleaning. He did his usual great job, but when I got the kits, I noticed that there were two valves inside, one for the inlet and one for the outlet. No problem, I'll just replace, I thought.

On the pictures below, this is the one pump of three that is not staked all around the valves, so I thought that it would be the easiest, but I cannot get the valves out.

The valves are pictured both up and down, respectively for what they do, but these things are really in there. I don't want to risk breaking the casting as I attempt to remove them.

I also show a picture of the replacement valve for reference.,

Anyone have any ideas? As always, thanks in advance.

R

RonMacPherson

The casting if I remember right is an aluminum, the valves are not. Might try an evening in the icebox and then hand slamming the pump body down on a cushioned work bench. Or the other way warm the body up in a pot of hot water...

soak penetrant around the valves where they seat in the pump overnight......

Dental scribe/pick working your way around the valve outer circumference...

Just some ideas... HTH

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've tried the scribe and bent two already. They won't budge.

It's a good thing that these will fit in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I'll try that if the penetrant doesn't loosen them.

Tomorrow I'll grind of the staked edges on the others with my Dremel. Hopefully, I'll have a path to follow by then for the others.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hello, Paul, I went thru a similar ordeal when I rebuilt my TR6 pump a while back. I was able to "prise" them up and out, as Mr. Haynes sez..... wasn't easy, and of course, mangled them getting them out.... you might do a search for that post. I used a Moss rebuild kit initially; but there was no way the Moss valves were going in there. I wound up using the TRF valves, which, in this application, were a much better fit. (And don't do what I did; the pump won't pump if you put them in backward!)

Good luck, and have fun!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If they are that difficult to remove why not just leave them in there?

The only failure I have ever had with one of these valves is when one fell out -- not likely in your case.

I realize they include a couple of replacement valves in the kit and generally new is thought to be better than old but in this case you might consider leaving well enough alone.

Disclaimer -- My experience is with 4-cyl TRs, different pump body but similar valves. Perhaps TR6 owners can comment on whether these valves fail.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Greg Gelhar on the team.net pages put out some slides on the process - he pressed in those valves, then staked them in place. Looked like a pretty tricky operation:
fuel pump rebuild
Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks guys....going to eat dinner now and I'll check these out when I get back.

Gotta love this forum!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Same basic AC pump on the T/C Lotus engines. I've used a Dremel tool to fuss the deformations and mangled the old valves to get them out. Thenused a deep-reach socket to ~gently~ whack the new ones in and a 1/4" flat ended punch to swedge the "dimples" back into the aluminum. Patience and a bit of forethought should get ya thru, Paul! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Before I assume, which gasket goes under these guys? The figure eight or the small black with the small hole in the center?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Never mind on the above question. I guess that the kits come with parts for several style pumps.

These are TRF kits, so hopefully the valves will fit well once I get the old ones out.

George, I might have left them in if they were off my car, but there was so much junk in these that I don't want to rebuild them only to have to tear them apart again.

It looks as though the hard part is getting the old ones out. well, I've got a lot of patience and it's too cold to work in the garage on the car for another month or two, so......

Greg's pics were/are very helpful. Thank you Randy.