• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel line, in front or back of dash pot

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
On page 76 of The Big Healeys, by Graham Robson, there is a photograph of the engine compartment of a BJ8.

It shows the fuel line being run in front of the forward dash pot. It also shows the line being held in place by a bracket.

Is this how it was done at the factory?

Mine is run behind the pot. If correct is in front, where would I find the holding bracket?

I could not find any reference in the Austin Healey Concours Registry.

I'll include three photos here.
Last one is the printed insert on the same page, 76, of the photo.

Country flag
I've never seen that on a Healey but it reminds me of the attachment on my MGB. I'm not near my Healey at the moment but I don't remember the banjo being able to receive a fuel line at that angle.
TH

Country flag
I run my fuel line behind the forward dash pot although I believe that to be 'non-standard.' If I run it in front of the dash pot it rubs against the bonnet.

Would love to get my hands on one of those brackets (maybe I'll fab one).

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bob_Spidell said:
I run my fuel line behind the forward dash pot although I believe that to be 'non-standard.' If I run it in front of the dash pot it rubs against the bonnet.

Bob, you live in CA? Near San Leandro?

"Would love to get my hands on one of those brackets" (maybe I'll fab TWO, one for Roger).

Dude, you rock!
If it rubs against the bonnet, maybe the arc is too long?

Anyway guys, I'm curious about correct placement of the line, being I've never seen it in front, till that picture.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
stevebn2bj7 said:
That is how it is run on the BJ7 but using two brackets holding the petroflex in place.

Where does the second bracket attach?
Could you post a photo?

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
I'm with TH. Why run that fuel line over the manifold and expose it to addl
heat?

Roger, I'm curious, since you have entered and placed very high in Concours level shows and have not yet been dinged for this, why the interest in changing your fuel line routing?
Cheers!

Randy

Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
Bob_Spidell said:

Bob, you live in CA? Near San Leandro?

"Would love to get my hands on one of those brackets" (maybe I'll fab TWO, one for Roger).

Dude, you rock!
If it rubs against the bonnet, maybe the arc is too long?

Anyone know the OD of the fuel line? I'll see what I can do; but probably not for awhile (getting ready for a long road trip).

FWIW, I've run mine behind the carb for many years, including a couple runs through Death Valley at 115degF--no vapor lock problems.

I live in San Jose.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randy Harris said:
I'm with TH. Why run that fuel line over the manifold and expose it to addl
heat?

Roger, I'm curious, since you have entered and placed very high in Concours level shows and have not yet been dinged for this, why the interest in changing your fuel line routing?
Cheers!

Randy

Guys, my question is how did it come from the factory?

If indeed it was in front from the factory, I would think if heat was an issue, they would not have kept it there and moved it to the back. I don't know if heat is an issue, unless someone here chimes in and says, yes I had mine in front and heat was an issue. (Maybe the black and white photo shows it wrong?)

Randy, maybe the judges are not aware, my judge, of the line being run in the wrong place (which is the question I've posted).

As I've always said... it's all in the details.
And I do pay attention to the details in my Healey.

Party on!
Roger

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I recall that my BJ8's petroflex line had a rubber sleeve on it for routing through a clamp. Where the clamp was I can't seem to rec all(killed that brain cell). I also seem to recall the hose hitting the bonnet. FWIW
Patrick

Country flag
I have an exploded diagram (sales brochure) of a Phase Two that showed it behind the carbs next to the fender. Difficult to see as it is a drawing with the fenders "cut away". My Phase One came that way.
Correct me if I am wrong, Roger, but you are going against all cars and not just Healeys. And yours IS the best of show in those competitions, no question, hands down a winner. I have watched Healey Concurs judging and I think it approached obsessive/compulsive. Anything varying from what left the factory was dinged.
My goal is "nice, original driver". They'd laugh at me at a Healey Concurs judging.

richch

Jedi Trainee
The b/w photo from the book is showing a very early prototype development BMC photograph with a P bracket similar to the pair that had been used on the BJ7. However, this was not carried through in BJ8 production practices. The fuel line ran over the dashpot like in Roger's picture, approaching the float chamber inlet pipe from about straight above.
Yes at least the National Concours Registry sanctioned judges know and care.
Also, I would respectfully point out that an original sales brochure is not a dependable information source.
The aforementioned rubber sleeve is located in the P clip in Roger's photo that is mounted to the vertical shroud support member.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
TH,
You and a lot of other knowledgeable Healey guys will look at my car and notice a lot of things that are not Concours correct. Wrong valve cover, polished carbs, chromed nuts (acorns no doubt), water return line, P-clips, spin on oil filter...don't get me started. But running the hose in front or back, not a big deal, but an easy fix and it will be one more thing that is not wrong or lets say one more thing that is right between the what's wrong and what's right scale.

I just noticed the fuel line in the photo and thought I'd ask here. For I could not find the answer in the Concours Registry. Feel me guys.

It'll be interesting to see how many read and respond to this thread before it gets forgotten.

Then I'll bring up another quirky question.
Rock on.
Roger

Richch just posted before I got mine up.
Glad to see I have mine routed correctly.
Nice explanation.
Thank you!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
FWIW I'd think the float bowls would be a bigger heat issue than the fuel line. The fuel running through the hose would help keep temps down somewhat. Since the bowls are larger, the fuel sits there longer and also closer to the exhaust manifold (or headers).

Country flag
Weren't there some issues with in line fuel filters placed too near heat causing vapor lock a few years ago? That was why it was suggested to put them forward of the carbs. Maybe this was on one of the other forums.

Country flag
Interesting conversation but, for the life of me, I can't believe it's that much cooler in front of the dashpot. We're talking about 4-5 inches, and the hot air gets circulated--or stays put, perhaps--throughout the engine compartment.

If there was a P clamp on the prototype that didn't make it to production it's probably because a beancounter at Austin figured he could save a few pence.