• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Fuek pump '71 MGB

GaryBeu

Banned
I'm attaching a photo of the fuel pump that came on this project. Anyone know what kind it is and how much pressure it should give. Doesn't seem to work properly to me. Also, what sort of instrument/gauge do I need to test the fuel pressure at the carbs...I think we want 3.5 lbs. Right?

MGBRebuild022.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks like a submersible "lift pump". A Facet low pressure metal one from one of the big box autoparts stores will work fine as a replacement. 3.5ft/lb is about as high as you'd want to go. Any pressure measuring gauge should work as long as it's a lower reading one.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks...I didn't think it was anywhere near correct and it REALLY runs! No clicking or anything just steady humm.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It may be perfectly suited to the task! I'd put a gauge on it to see.

Carter makes one (P60504) I've used on DCOE Webers, I have a Facet on Herself's MGB.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I'll try a gauge before I buy a new pump...thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh, NOICE, Dave....Let's give 'im a GAS pump.

:smirk:

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Dave...thanks for noticing that! Now I understand the whole problem. This is a prime example of the expertise on this forum and just goes to prove how wise I was to join! :smile:

Gary

rustbucket

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I was at Autozone last night and picked up an electric fuel pump marketed by Spectre for $45.00. It sounds like a little gerotor pump. It had a black plastic casing, but I suspect that inside it is probably a lot like the one you have pictured. I have seen them at other FLAPS under different brand names, Mr. Gasket, et al. There were three types, a 2-3 lb pump which I bought, one rated at about 7 lbs., typical for old American carburetors, and a diesel unit.

I also noticed that they had a cute in line pressure gauge with fittings for $14.99, and a regulator good for 1 to 7 lbs. if I remember correctly. It was cheap too, like $24.99.

Anyways, I brought it home, rigged it up on Ol' rustbucket with an old lawnmower tank and pumped a gallon or so of gas through the old lines to clean them out, and re-rigged the rest of the fuel system. One hot wire and a jumper cable later, and I got to hear the old TRactor fire up again, if only for a few seconds. I still can't believe this thing runs. It's been sitting for twenty five years or so.

I guess I should clarify, the body is off the frame and the motor and trans are just sitting there out in the open on the chassis

But I digress, search fuel pump in old threads and there are lots of discussions of original pumps vs Facet pumps. I installed a Facet pump on my buddy's MG last summer and it seems to be doing fine.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Rustbucket. I'll check all of this out.

hloomis_7_1_1

Here is the write up for this pump.

Carter Carotor universal pump applications range from carburetor to TBI & MFI systems. They are also used in many OE-type hanger and module assemblies. The gerotor is unquestionably the most versatile pump design today. It utilizes a unique gear and rotor eccentric mechanism that squeezes the fuel within the pump to create high pressure with very little pulsation. Compact, lightweight and fuel-cooled, it is a current favorite of many OE manufacturers. EFI marine manufacturers are also installing these robust gerotors to meet their fuel delivery demands.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Carter I previously referenced is a low pressure unit, works great for low pressure requirements.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks guys. I'm going to find a pressure gauge and test it before I do anything about it.