• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Front TR6 Springs

Cain

Jedi Trainee
I've heard that front spring replacement on a TR6 should be left up to the local LBC mechanic. I've heard replacing the rear springs is a DIY job.

That information came from the guy that sold me my TR6. He has two others that he has brought back to life.

Any experience with replacing TR6 springs out there? Any advice on this topic?

TIA

G

Cain,
Replacing the front springs on a TR6 is quite simple and definately a DIY job, IF you have the right tool. The Roadster Factory sells (others probably do also) a nifty threaded rod that makes removing the spring a snap. However, if you ever try to do it without such a gadget, you are truly risking your life! Buy it for future use, or borrow one from a local club.

Bill

G

Cain,
Plus or minus, about 40 bucks. By the way, why are you changing your front springs? They rarely need it, usually the back ones. Also, if indeed you are changing the front spings, why not go ahead and rebush the whole front end. Not that big a job and can be done in a weekend.

Bill

OP
Cain

Cain

Jedi Trainee
The car has 91K on it and from what I've found out regarding the history of the car, neither the front nor rear springs have ever been changed. If I knew how to post a pic, I'd show you a shot taken of the front of the car and you'd see how it leans to the driver's side. I think it's obvious that it needs new springs. (Plus, with the engine gone to the machine shop, I think this would be an opportune time to overhaul the front suspension.)

Yeah, I've already purchased all the bushings for the front end. I think I'm going to order that tool. $40 ain't bad considering the local LBC mechanic is $50/hour.

Thanks for the info.

G

The coil spring compressor I bought from TRF was made specifically for the TR (or LBC's) I would think that it is a better choice, looking at the AutoZone device. I have used mine two times and is handy to have around.

Bill

Paul W.

I own a standard coil spring compressor, probably similar to the one they rent at autozone. It will not work on TRs. The TR spring is too narrow and I could not get the compressor inside it.

I bought the Moss spring compressor. It works perfect. I have used it 4 times (Please don't ask why so many times, it's a long story)and it's worked like a charm every time.

Paul W.
1956 TR3
1964 TR4

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Cain,

I did this job as last winter's project on my '72 that hadn't had it's front suspension touched. You can remove the front springs with only a floor jack, but replacing them requires the special allthread compressor that has been mentioned. While you are there, replace all the bushings, check the trunnions for wear, and replace the shocks. My OEM Armstrong shocks were frozen solid! Also replace the trunnion bolt if it is heavily corroded. The proper lube for the trunnions is GL3 gear oil (they are brass).

Good luck.

Rick O.

OP
Cain

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Time for a stupid question: Does each spring have a top and a bottom? i.e., Does it matter which side goes up when you install the spring?

Gary Pope

Jedi Trainee
My coil spring compressors were too long to get between the spring properly and subsequently my new springs are still sitting on my garage floor. I suspect the TRF version must be a shorter version than your common compressors. I would doubt the Autozone ones would work.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Cain,
you mentioned the car leaning to one side. I had this problem on the passenger side of my TR4a, and found the cause was a cracked mount for the lower A arm. With age and cornering forces the mounting bolt can pull through the plate.
Obviously the other check, after you remove the springs, is to see if the free height is the same. Simon.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Trust me, you either have to buy the TRF compressor or make your own with all-thread rod. None of the commercial compressors will work. The TRF unit has a thick aluminum base plate drilled to fit perfectly over the 4 lower shock studs on the spring pan.

Also, the springs go up and in either way.

Cheers.