• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Coil Springs

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello All

Has anyone used the uprated front coil springs sold by TSI? I purchased a set of these springs for my 59 TR3A. They are an inch shorter than the factory springs and I assume that they are also a little firmer. I installed one the other day without the aluminum spacer and it seems awful short. With suspension at full extent of lower travel and spring fully inserted into shock tower, the spring actually does not completely seat in bottom of pan (lower suspension travel bumper not yet installed). When I observed this, I figured it might be problematic. So, a couple questions for the brain trust.

1) Has anyone used these and can share impressions? I know stiffer springs are not alway better.
2) Did you install with aluminum spacer? I'll measure spacer when I get home - I think it probably adds an inch to spring length.

I did contact Ted at TSI and he said he's been selling them for 30 years (but apparently, not so much for TR3s, mostly for TR4A and TR6).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Goal for this is to improve handling for fun road driving - not racing.

Pat

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I've found that on the TR6 both Moss and Richard Good competition/upgraded springs require at least one spacer or the front of the car is too low. I'd expect, as seem to be discovering, that this would be the case on a TR3 or 4 as well.

One other thought - I used all poly bushings when I rebuilt the '1974 TR6 suspension and Richard Good's springs on all four corners. She turns in like a go-cart but the ride is very stiff and choppy. Maybe it will settle down some in use, but I'm not convinced it will. Based on that for the '68 TR4A IRS I'm going with poly bushings but stock front springs and TR6 rear springs (mild upgrade in firmness).

Now as I indicated this is all based on my experience with the TR6, you car and TR3's in general may be different, but I'd give it a think Pat.

simpson

I recently installed TSI's lower HD springs on all 4 corners of my 72 TR6. No spacers used, except that the fronts had a much thicker lower poly/rubber spring pad on originally. I've yet to see any of the replacement pads as thick. It appeared to have been 1/4 to 3/8" originally. I left these in. I've had no clearance issues arise yet.

I cannot believe how better the overall handling is now - 10 times better than the original spring setup. I find TSI's stiffer springs to provide a very compliant ride, not harsh like some others have reported some of the other springs to be. I suppose if one was to get into the competition spring categories, the ride would become jarring.

I wanted to add before and after pics showing the improved wheel gap and stance, but could not figure how.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
simpson said:
I wanted to add before and after pics showing the improved wheel gap and stance, but could not figure how.

If you have uploaed the pictures to a sharing site like Photobucket just go ahead and post the link here and then I'll display them for you.

Good to hear you are happy with them!

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Guys

Are the TR6 front coil springs fitted with a stock aluminum spacer (at top of spring where it meets tower) like the TR3s?

Pat

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Not stock to the best of my knowledge on the TR6 Pat. Spacers are usually used to offset springs that leave you with too short of a ride height.

PeterK

Yoda
PatGalvin said:
Thanks Guys

Are the TR6 front coil springs fitted with a stock aluminum spacer (at top of spring where it meets tower) like the TR3s?

Pat

4A's have the aluminum spacer with the rubber donut/packing above and below the spacer as well as beneath the spring. When I bought my 1" lower springs from Ted, he said to leave the spacer out and he sells the same spring to 4A's and 6's.

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Peter

So, is ride height fine with these shorter springs, without aluminum spacer? And how is ride? Better handling?

Thanks

Pat

D

DougF

The next step toward better handling is installing front and rear sway bars.

PeterK

Yoda
PatGalvin said:
Hi Peter

So, is ride height fine with these shorter springs, without aluminum spacer? And how is ride? Better handling?

Thanks

Pat

I hope so. Anyway, my chassis is done but engine is not, and body needs to be started. So in a couple of years with luck, and I'll have a better answer for you. :whistle: