• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Friends in Ontario, Hamilton, Burlington Oakville

mgbnew

After seeing that a lot of members seem to be close to each other in various States I was wondering if there were any forum members in Ontario, Canada. More direct, in the Burlington, Hamilton or Oakville area. I would love to “kick some tires” with some other MGB owners. I am in Burlington and have just finished my first summer with my 1970 MGB and would love to go over a few things with other owners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Al
Yup, there are quite a few on this and other forums from that area. I am just north from there, but go through Burilington quite often. There is GMDad who is just outside Hamilton.. and others I can't identify right now, but we are here.
Would love to get together in the spring or earlier and talk MG's. We hope to get two cars down to British Car Day next year... Maybe all three /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Keep posting often.

Paul

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you go to my web site & look on "theList" you'll find all knids of members near you...there's a section for the US, one for Canada & International, & one for mechanics members have recommended

...oh, drop me an email & register!

https://www.theautoist.com/thelist.htm

R6MGS

Yoda
I am in Mississauga at Winston Churchill and 401....have you ever been to the Burlington Cruise night?(Mapleview mall, Wednesday nights...in the summer)I try to make it there a least a few times a year, thats a really good cruise....theres alotta other cruises and shows around here in the summer, The Winston Chruchill cruisers is the closest to me so I am there almost every week in the summer....Plus theres British car day I wouldn't miss that for the world.

alandell

Freshman Member
I reside in Niagara Falls and also own a 70 MGB which I purchased last Sept. In little over a year over 4000 miles in only good weather. Best thing I bought in a long time. Rather addictive, mine is an off body restoration but those catalogs sure tempt you into buying more things to "Tart" it up. A wine tour in the summer in the Beamsville Bench would be a good ideas for everyone to meet and "sip" some of Niagara's best.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Friends in Ontario, Hamilton, Burlington Oakvi

There are piles of ways for British car owners to network/socialize in southern Ontario.

There is the MG Club of Toronto, don't know a lot about that club.

There is a small sports car club around the Hamilton/St. Catharine's area, I've heard lots of good things about that club (I have the link somewhere - must look up!)

And there is also the British Saloon Car Club of Canada... while the club is specifically for saloon cars (sedans), there are a large number of sports car owners in the club as well, and the club is very active with lots of different activities, in particular the Toronto/Burlington/Milton area...

And there are lots more clubs than that out there in Ontario, there are at least ten different British/import car shows of all sizes in the region during the year.

Point: southern Ontario is a real hot bed of British car activity, unlike Alberta where I moved back to... I wonder why sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif oh yeah, I grew up here and I just love the mountains and the open spaces out here, and enjoy the few British/import cars that are out here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

R6MGS

Yoda

Well said Sherlock....that Hamilton club can be found at bsccweb.com I am not a member but have heard many great things....The MG car club of Toronto is huge, again I am not currently a member but this past year they can a HUGE show in the Distillery Dsitrict(Toronto) that was appartently really good...hopefully I'll be able to make it next year!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

A recurring thought I keep having (related to all classic cars in general, really)

Why are so many enthusiasts, and particularly car owners, so brand exclusive? Specifically when it comes to car clubs... Like what's wrong with joining a generic British car club/sports car club instead of joining an MG-specific club...

Perhaps because I don't own a car I can answer this question much easier, but even if I owned an MG I would be very open to all British cars... I also live in a smaller part of the world (population-wise) where it makes the most sense to have a "vintage sports car club" for all makes rather than a club for each make, due to the low population of British/Euro cars, where having an MG Club, Triumph Club, Austin-Healey Club, etc... all separate would make for lots of small clubs instead of one larger club.

Good enough for a new topic in The Pub https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=154533

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Sherlock . guess its because we become accustomed to working on a specific grand...I have always enjoyed my MG's but occassionally I'll buy a GT6 & keep it for awhile
& latr wish I'd never sold it! I've had a Sunbeam Alpine, an AH 100-4....just like MG's.

roger64

Freshman Member
Hello from another Buringtonian, you may have seen one of our Minis around town,one blue and one orange, and soon perhaps a HB Viva, might have a BGT soon as well. If you are interested in an active group try the British Saloon CC of Canada, over 550 members including B's.
Merry Christmas

OP
mgbnew

mgbnew

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I have been to the car show on Wednesday nights in Burlington. I made it to the last one of the year. You are right; there were several B’s and other British cars. Really enjoyed it. I will also check out the one in Mississauga as well as the other sites that were recommended. I purchased my 70, in May of last year and enjoyed the first summer immensely. Had her out as much as possible. It has to be the best feeling in the world just cruising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gifalong a back road with the top down, sun shining and you being behind the wheel. Every now and then checking the gauges (still not sure what I am checking but it feels good.) Any way it would be nice to have someone more experienced than myself to “kick the tires” with and get some suggestions on some modifications. The first thing I am going to have done come the spring is to have a overdrive installed. Not by myself but through a reputable mechanic. This is one on the questions I would like to ask. Where is the best place?
Anyway thank you all for the reply’s and I look forward to meeting up with some of you in the near future.

A Christmas Cheer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif to all of you and all the best in the New Year.

Al from Burlington, Ontario
apettman@cogeco.ca

OP
mgbnew

mgbnew

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I have been to the car show on Wednesday nights in Burlington. I made it to the last one of the year. You are right; there were several B’s and other British cars. Really enjoyed it. I will also check out the one in Mississauga as well as the other sites that were recommended. I purchased my 70, in May of last year and enjoyed the first summer immensely. Had her out as much as possible. It has to be the best feeling in the world just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gifcruising along a back road with the top down, sun shining and you being behind the wheel. Every now and then checking the gauges (still not sure what I am checking but it feels good.) Any way it would be nice to have someone more experienced than myself to “kick the tires” with and get some suggestions on some modifications. The first thing I am going to have done come the spring is to have a overdrive installed. Not by myself but through a reputable mechanic. This is one on the questions I would like to ask. Where is the best place?
Anyway thank you all for the reply’s and I look forward to meeting up with some of you in the near future.

A Christmas Cheer to all of you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gifand all the best in the New Year.

Al from Burlington, Ontario /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF
apettman@cogeco.ca

R6MGS

Yoda
What color is you B??..I'll keep an eye out at the shows...Theres actually alot of good LBC shops around here, everyone you talk to will more than likely come up with someone different...the Biggest is Penninsula Imports, and Precision Sportscars....There used to be a place called British MGB Spares not to far from me that had been around a loooong time...I became good friends with the Owner(Tommy) but unfortunatly he pasted away a few years ago and I am not sure whether or not his shop is still running...I think one of the mechanics that worked for him may be running it now?....If your not to concerned over it being a British specific shop you could also try Kirk Robinson(Robinson Automotive, in Mississauga) He is also a friend of mine and has worked on my cars many times(did the clutch in the LE last summer, and my Caddy is there right now) He is highly qualified and used to work on the Players Camaros back in the late 80's...He's also on TV(rogers local station) with his show "Auto Talk"...He's usually pretty flexible with prices and makes an effort to get you the best deal...just google Robinson Automotive and his website should come up.

plankton

Freshman Member
Country flag
After seeing that a lot of members seem to be close to each other in various States I was wondering if there were any forum members in Ontario, Canada. More direct, in the Burlington, Hamilton or Oakville area. I would love to “kick some tires” with some other MGB owners. I am in Burlington and have just finished my first summer with my 1970 MGB and would love to go over a few things with other owners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF
hello. I live in Burlington as well. I just got my first mgb..1974. I'm looking for some help figuring out the carbs. try as I might, I cannot figure out how to get these beasts running properly. Any hints or mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
hello. I live in Burlington as well. I just got my first mgb..1974. I'm looking for some help figuring out the carbs. try as I might, I cannot figure out how to get these beasts running properly. Any hints or mechanics would be greatly appreciated.
Plankton welcome to the forum (even if there is something 'fishy' about that user name - see what I did there. :D)

Seriously, the post you are responding to is from 2005 and it doesn't seem like he has posted anything else in quite some time. I do live in Etobicoke and have a single SU on my Midget - not sure how much I can contribute but happy to connect.

plankton

Freshman Member
Country flag
Plankton welcome to the forum (even if there is something 'fishy' about that user name - see what I did there. :D)

Seriously, the post you are responding to is from 2005 and it doesn't seem like he has posted anything else in quite some time. I do live in Etobicoke and have a single SU on my Midget - not sure how much I can contribute but happy to connect.
Funny guy...Yeah, I didn't look at the dste stamp. I think the only thing I could use is a reliable mechanic. Everywhere I go people tell me they don't know how to work on them and the guy they knew has retired. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

barneymg

Freshman Member
Country flag
Find car clubs catering to MG in Ontario here:

This list is (was) totally current and verified in 2018, and hopefully kept up to date since them. Join a local car club to find lots of new friends with common interest, and plenty of technical help.