• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Frame Repair Progress

cyaker

Been thinking that if I didn’t have to work to support my habit, I could get done a lot quicker. But I think it was productive day. In the midst of frame repairs. Pulled lower t-shirt plate because of suspicious swelling. Glad I did. Found rust through under the plate at the joint of trailing arm support. Opened it up and bottom half of internal bracing for trailing arm bolts was gone. Cleaned it up and used 1” box tube front to back where the bolt goes through then beside it added additional tubing stacked between two flat plates to create an “I” beam effect for extra stiffness. Welding was tight and not pretty. Then closed the rails with 1/8” plate. The other side does not look as bad but has rusted through some; hopefully it will not require the extra reinforcements. Thought about ordering a cross member for the trailing arm, but was afraid I would mess more things up since the rest seemed solid.

Last week I build a wooden support frame with 5” inch wheels to bring frame up to comfortable work height, plus can roll in out into the drive for cutting and grinding. Set the dimensions so I can set body on it after I am through with frame. Still have to repair diff mounts and will add reinforcement there. Will then flip frame back over. May need to pull top t-shirt plate as it is swollen on the side away from today’s lower repair.

Have to thank this group. I never would have gone frame off without the hints picked up here. Wonderful things you can do with an engine lift.

OP
C

cyaker

Sorry, got on a roll and after I had it closed up thought, I should have taken a picture of that. I am still hopeful that the other side will not give me the opportunity to duplicate it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
tr6web TR6 TR6 Frame repair progress - it's done! Triumph 10
C TR2/3/3A Frame repair and value Triumph 2
S TR2/3/3A Frame repair. Triumph 47
D General TR Frame repair - recommendations for NJ area Triumph 3
Popeye TR4/4A Seat frame - rust "repair"? Triumph 1
M TR4/4A Frame Support for Body Repair Triumph 5
RJS Top Frame Repair - ideas needed Triumph 8
K Is this a tough frame repair Triumph 5
O TR2/3/3A TR3 Frame Repair Triumph 1
Scot1966 TR6 Tr6 Frame repair Triumph 0
N Need body/frame repair in the Pacific Northwest Austin Healey 4
B TR6 DIY TR-6 frame repair feasibility- Triumph 15
Rick_Neves Big Healey Frame Repair - I need some suggestions Austin Healey 3
wkilleffer Top frame removal and repair MG 6
bill_young Folding top frame repair. Spridgets 2
T TR6 TR6 rear frame repair Triumph 2
C Soliciting opinions, advice for frame repair Triumph 9
tr6web TR6 TR6 Convertible frame repair Triumph 2
C TR6 TR6 Frame and Body repair Triumph 2
Editor_Reid Healey 100 Frame Diagram Austin Healey 1
J TR6 Repadding TR6 frame Triumph 0
B TR6 TR6 convertible top frame Triumph 0
zoohow BN4 Top Frame Installation Austin Healey 1
K TR6 Goodparts Trail arm kits mounting just to the frame( no body) and shims? Triumph 9
S TR2/3/3A Placing the differential on the frame Triumph 4
Racer-X- Frame mounted power brake pedal/booster/master cylinder kits for RHD cars? Restoration & Tools 1
G For Sale NEW PHOTOS: Triumph TR3 Chassis Frame + Front Suspension, Fits TR2,TR3,TR3A,TR3B Triumph Classifieds 1
BJ8Healeys Location of VIN tag, 1964 Sprite HAN8L43421 (I know it's stamped on the frame. Looking for the tag.) Spridgets 8
P Wanted Wanted: Healey 100-4 frame Austin Healey Classifieds 4
H TR4/4A Advise asked on TR 4 a frame collision/issue Triumph 20
T For Sale Excellent Original 1968 TR250 Frame with Engine & Transmission Triumph Classifieds 6
Ericstammer TR4/4A TR4A body on TR4 frame Triumph 0
ActionJackson Spitfire Frame Triumph 0
AngliaGT For Sale Two Piece Top Frame - MGB '62 - '70 MG Classifieds 0
57 Healey For Sale Original top (hood) frame for BT7 Austin Healey Classifieds 8
R TR6 Frame repaired? Triumph 6
71TR6 TR2/3/3A TR3 windscreen frame corner bracket screw thread Triumph 9
7 Wedge Removing sunroof frame Triumph 5
Rut TR4/4A 4a frame modification Triumph 6
D Wanted WTB: Late Triumph Spitfire Top Frame Triumph Classifieds 8
D TR2/3/3A Windshield frame fitting. Triumph 2
algot1901 Rear Seat Bottom/Frame for 1950 Ford Prefect Other British Cars 12
JamesD BJ8 Top Frame Bumpers Austin Healey 12
TomMull Wanted Herald Hood Frame Triumph Classifieds 9
TomMull Convertible hood frame Other British Cars 3
Healey Nut Seat Base Frame Position Austin Healey 4
P TR6 TR6 Frame Stiffener Triumph 4