• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

Focus Breathing

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Focus Breathing is one of those things that I knew about, but never really paid attention to since it never really impacted my images, which generally shot with a single focus point. But with my recent foray into shooting using focus bracketing, then combining several images together in post, made me experience the effects of focus breathing first hand.

Fortunately, Photoshop has the capability to take these image, all with slightly different focal lengths, and normalize them so as to allow them to be stacked. But if you looks at this short video, I step through a series of images taken with my 85mm f/2 lens at f/5.6. No settings changed and the camera is on a tripod and not moved. No other setting changed from shot to shot other than the focus point on the coin.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Never had to contend with it but it makes sense with trying to digitally stack the images at different focal points. I would expect the shorter the focal length lens the less the effect, too.

The "old time" solution was to throw more light at it! If the lens aperture can be cranked down to ∱32 or 64, no problem!

Problem solved! ;):D
stack.jpg

Last edited:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I would think you'd notice breathing on a motion picture camera when they rack focus from one actor to another. If it happens, it's never bothered me.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I would think you'd notice breathing on a motion picture camera when they rack focus from one actor to another. If it happens, it's never bothered me.
I'm certainly no expert but I've read somewhere that Cinema lenses are constructed so that they control / or eliminate the problem of focus breathing which is why cinema lenses cast so much more.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
IMHO, the issue never came up before. "Focus stacking" only became possible with digital image manipulation. As I posted above, the answer used to be "throw more light at it."