• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fly wheel -gear ring and clutch disc questions

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello from cloudy Germany :savewave:@ all,

I would like to discuss two technical views with you :grouphug:

1. I have to heat shrink the gear ring on the fly wheel.
I know,I have to heat constant the gear ring to approx. 300°C.
Additional I have the option to freeze the fly wheel at -18°C.
Makes it sense to freeze the fly wheel ? Because I see the risk,that the cold fly wheel can fix my gear ring before it is positioned on the final position..... :cry:
Have someone experience with this process ?

2. According my manual the clutch disc facing, has a thickness in new condition of 3,81 mm (each side)
My used clutch disc has 3,2 mm each side. The spring riveting looks fine and strong.
(I don´t know the mileage, but the flywheel and the other clutch components looks like new)

So the question is, can I reapply this disc or have I replace it with a new one ?

:thankyousign: in advance for answering.

Bye Michel- who would like to fix it on this weekend

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Michel, I have never had the capability to freeze the flywheel. However, when I replace the starter ring I simply heat the ring at a couple of places with the torch and force it into position on the flywheel adding slight heat and tapping the ring until it is all the way home. I would replace the clutch disk since you have the tranny out and extend the next service period.--Fwiw-Keoke

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Keoke ,

thank you for information. I know this "practical way" with the torch.... But it is not really professional, because of the not constant heat influence. :whistle:
Also you have the risk to damage partially the hardness of the starter ring tooths.
To the cluch disk I understand I can use it.

Thank you. What does Fwiw mean? (You know I have to develope my english)

Bye michel- who has next week holiday for healey restoration and my kids :banana:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:laugh: FWIW = For What It's Worth-- Keoke :thumbsup:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Michael Salter used a gas barbecue to heat up his ring gear. That and some welding gloves.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
anthony7777 said:
keoke, im with germanmichel on this one, next time you need this ring job done take it to a "professional".. :lol:--I did- :banana:

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello
I would like to share my experience.
I cooled down the fly wheel to -18 degrees ; But I can`t measure some shrinking.
So I heat the starter gear ring up to 250° C because our cooking equipment is limited....The fly wheel has 20°C.
It was not easy, but with a aluminium hammer as a pushing tool and an iron hammer I move the starter ring to the flywheel shoulder. (without gap)

Bye Michel-who received today new spare parts :banana:

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Guys
for info I had heard about the old bbq trick, but all I did was clean off the oil from the new ring gear (to stop it smoking when heated), heat it in our house standard electric fan oven at 250oC for 30 minutes (I'm the cook in the house anyway, but I did wait till the wife was out :angel: ) and take it out and drop it on the fly wheel on our drive, making sure the factory punch mark aligned with a tooth on the flywheel as in the factory manual.Then let it cool au nautural.

Easy peasy.

cheers Andy

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
<span style="color: #FF0000">"making sure the factory punch mark aligned with a tooth on the flywheel as in the factory manual"</span>

UUps why that... I´ve seen it not in my BMC manual :shocked:
For me it makes no sense... After shut down the engine, the crankshaft normally stop in the same area, but not imho on the exact same position. Did I forget something ?

Bye michel- who change on weekend the main and big end bearing shells

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep you forgot that the engine does stop in the same position so the ring gear can wear out at that one position from repetitive engine starts but be like new every where else.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Keoke said:
Yep you forgot that the engine does stop in the same position
And I thought it was just a dumb lump-o-iron. How does it <span style="font-style: italic">know</span>?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

That be a secret for me to know and for you to try and find out. If you see some place I will tell you. --Keoke- :laugh:

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Keoke write: (I`m to dump like the iron to use the reference link function) : <span style="color: #990000">"Yep you forgot that the engine does stop in the same position so the ring gear can wear out at that one position from repetitive engine starts but be like new every where else."</span>
Ok, I know that the ring wear out normaly in the same position.This is the reason why I changed the gear ring..... :wink:
But I did not understand why one gear ring tooth should important positioned on the TDC mark ? :wall:
Should it help to engage the starter gear ?

Or you kidding me :jester:.....you know my english not so very well :nonono:

Bye- michel who can`t work today on the healey, because I have to help my better half :smile:devilgrin:smile: to make cherry marmelade