• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First Triumph Drive

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Hi All,
I was given my TR250 free. I always knew I wanted an English sports car. Till today, I had never driven one, or even had a significant ride in one. The closest I came was my Unlcle's 1967 Datsun 1600 Sports (MGB lookalike). I knew I liked that car: basic, fun, loud, kind of creaky.

Today, our club had its last scheduled event of the season, a benefit regularity run for Habitat for Humanity. I was invited to navigate with a member in his TR5. (imported from Europe, and petrol injected). He drove the first loop, and I drove the second loop.

All I can say is the project is now a lot more real to me. This car was as much fun (even more so) than I expected. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the TR250/6 range. (weezy, rattly, heavy steering, vintage handling). Anyway the car was a blast to drive. The steering was light and direct at speed. I could feel the wires wheels flex about through the wheel on straighter sections. It wasn't the smoothest ride, and yes it did creak and rattle quite a bit. Its all part of the fun isn't though? I mean, we drove over wooden boards on a covered bridge, almost feeling the splinters in the boards. It got so shaky on some rutted roads that we were laughing along.
The feel of the inline 6 has been described as "masculine". I can say its true. The thrust. Coming out of first into second and letting it wind out to 5500 rpm. It feels like you are riding every one of those six cylinders, as the cabin fills with oil and the smell of exhaust (we had the top of on this November day). The Sound!! Oh that Sound. I have heard the sixes pull away from the sidelines, but to be behind it, staring down the shaking hood as the engine pulls through the gears. What a thrill. Smooth, even delivery. The sightline is neat too. those high fenders on each side, with the bulge that catches your on on right turns. Hard to know where the right edge of the car is though behind that looong hood.
The mechanicals were a lot easier than I expected. I have driven lots of other cars which had much heavier unboosted steering at parking speeds. The Gearbox was very postive. It was a little hard finding third, but once you let the box guide you there it was fine. The clutch effort was much heavier than a modern car. The feel couldn't be beat though. I knew exactly when it was engaged. I loved just holding it on the hill just to hear the exhaust moan through the backlight.

All in all, it was everything I had hoped for. Modern enough to keep up with traffic as needed. Still a very vintage feel to it. Something felt much older when we went down some narrow country lanes. Like this car dates back to a time way before internal combustion. Such a thrill. I think I am hooked for life on TRs....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh, yeah - you've got the bug all right!

Sounds like the perfect day!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

Country flag
Its addictive...

And an occasional repeat will help keep you motivated for your project.

Think of it as a necessary indulgence.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Hi kindofblue,

The differences relative to modern cars are the attraction here, they are not the downside! You either get it, or you don't. Sounds like you got it, big time.

It is about being invested in the driving experience.

Enjoy that car, they were made to be driven with passion!

Best regards,

G

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it as a necessary indulgence....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think of every ride more as a trip to the therapist.

Kindofblue, you've just found out what it's all about. I enjoy modern cars alot also, but these cars just ooze character and personality.

Country flag
Mine is still a basket case.

Regular therapy is not to be had....

But the occasional indulgence (a ride in a friend's LBC, or even a whole day out, not to mention the chance to drive it) is a necessary indulgence to remind me of why I'm going through all this wonderfulness....

Until I have mine done, its more of an unnatural want.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kindofblue,

I know exactly what you mean. I had the 6 out yesterday, my best friend was down from Virginia, had never rode in a LBC before. He's actually a die-hard Chevy dude.

We blasted down the North Carolina countryside at breakneck speeds with those twin Borla trumpets playing their melodic tune. When he pull the 6 back into the garage he got out and just stared at the car for a couple minutes without saying a word.

I think he now "gets it" too.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I know the feeling, after being LBC less for more than twenty years & then on a whim found another TR250 (had one in college).

I can still remember one tour with the local LI TR club to a Winery an hour or so outside the city back in 1976 or so. On the way home we came into some traffic, about 10-12 of us in 6's, 4's & spits. I had the full dual exhaust with four pipe ANSA & we let the traffic clear a little a head of us. We buzzed through a 1000' long underpass reaching near redline cause we just wanted to hear the sound of those beautiful 6's!

I sometimes take the detour through my downtown on the way home just to hear the exhaust bouncing off the buildings along main st & giving everyone some ear candy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
KoB: Good to hear about your experiences. The things I love about my TR250, in rough order:
1. Low and mid range torque punch through the gears;
2. Handling. I am running Bridgestone 195s on Dayton 72 spoke wheels. Very stable, no flex, great grip;
3. The exhaust sound;
4. The visual delight of the "clocks" on real wood;
5. The view down the bonnet with the carb bulge and the narrow humps of the fenders;
6. The perfect fit of my left arm resting in the crook of the door on a sunny day, with the top down.

OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
KoB: Good to hear about your experiences. The things I love about my TR250, in rough order:
1. Low and mid range torque punch through the gears;
2. Handling. I am running Bridgestone 195s on Dayton 72 spoke wheels. Very stable, no flex, great grip;
3. The exhaust sound;
4. The visual delight of the "clocks" on real wood;
5. The view down the bonnet with the carb bulge and the narrow humps of the fenders;
6. The perfect fit of my left arm resting in the crook of the door on a sunny day, with the top down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are correct on all counts. My arm did fit snugly right in the crook of the door. (it needed to, I am a bit broad). The view down the bonnet is very cool, you can even see the headlight "eyebrows" just poking up way at the end there. I imagine the view down a TR6 hood is quite different. As interesting, I dunno? Does your bonnet shake a little over bumps?
The "clock" guages were very neat. They weren't as easy to read at speed as they seem, despite the size. Easiest to keep the tach in the red, you can see it best out of the corner of your eye at 5500! I like how the needles bounce a little here and there. You can tell something mechanical is at work, not electronics damping large changes.

As far as getting "it", I knew I would. My wife and I live in an 80 year old house. Lots of odd flaws, lots of character. I have my Apple at home hooked up to DSL, sitting on top of a 1920s era desk, with a repainted 1960s office chair. We love cool old things. Can I be off in saying the Triumph had an "old house" feel going down the road. A thick wooden feel, just like the crown mouldings on my doors and windows. Does this characterization make sense to anyone else?

G

[ QUOTE ]
Does this characterization make sense to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, no question.

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes take the detour through my downtown on the way home just to hear the exhaust bouncing off the buildings along main st & giving everyone some ear candy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my dream rides, which I have yet to do, is to take the 6 down 5th avenue in NYC at about 3am just to hear that very thing. Plus I'd get to hear it rip all the way through the Holland tunnel. Sorta like the Ferrari Daytona and Shelby Cobra in Gumball Rally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. It would have to be that late at night though, otherwise all I'd be hearing is the sound of the engine idling and my knee creaking from pushing in the clutch while I crawled through bumper to bumper traffic.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
My first drive came last February. After a stressful Autumn, I decided to buy a TR3. It was not running when I bought it but the seller paid to get it running.

The first time I started it I was hooked. She has the sassiest exhaust in the club (glass packs).

I have made a point of trying out every underpass in town, the best one is on the way to work, its about 75 years old, low clearance with concrete walls, about 40 feet long. The resonance is incredable.

People wonder why I'm smiling when I walk into work.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
I finally got my TR6 running just about purrfect this month after rebuilding the lower end and getting the carbs set up just so.
My drive last weekend was just before the snow and it was magnificent right up to the point where all that smoke filled the cabin as a result of the heater wiring shorting out. (you've never seen anyone turn off the motor, the heater, wind down the window, put it in nuetral, yank on the handbrake and jump out all at the same time)
Anyway, managed to drive it home (cold)
Point is that near disasters aside, that long pull from 3rd into 4th is my favourite bit with the RPM's way over 5K's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Now I've just got to figure where all that smoke came from!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Triumphs are like heroin. You look at the benefits from the sidelines and say "why would anyone in their right mind do this to themselves?"

Do it once and you're addicted...(and your life ruined.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome to the club. Luckily, we have no 12-step programs.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
(you've never seen anyone turn off the motor, the heater, wind down the window, put it in nuetral, yank on the handbrake and jump out all at the same time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've been doing this since 1966. Wanna bet?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff