• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fan blade

AutoAnglaise

Freshman Member
Hi !

I am new on the forum and I have an Austin Healey 3000 MKI BT7.

I had a 6 blade plastic fan, however it hurts the radiator and I do not know why. After the engine has stopped by himself, the fan blade was no more in the radiator (but the radiator had a circular impact). The radiator, the engine and the fan blade do not move, so I do not understand why the fan blade has hurted the radiator.
So, I have replaced the plastic one with the old (original) 4 blade metal fan. Now, the engine start again.

I am in France and I would like to know if a 6 blade fan should be used or if the 4 blade fan is ok ?
I would like to know if somebody can explain how the blades can hurt the radiator (knowing the engine, the radiator and the fan are well fixed.

Thanks.

Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

If you're not overheating in traffic with the original four (4) blade fan, then you should just stick to it.

I suspect that your "tie-rod" that connects from the bottom of the transmission to the crossmember either just needs to be tightened, or needs new bushes and tightening. Obviously, the fan got close to the radiator somehow...

... the fan wasn't installed backwards, was it?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
In addition to what Randy said, cutting through the air may bend the plastic blades, forcing them towards the radiator.

OP
A

AutoAnglaise

Freshman Member
Thank you Randy and Greg for responding so quickly !

About the fan blade installation, I think it was well installed (I have checked in books).

Randy, sorry, I think it is very easy for you but I have difficulties understanding the "tie-rod that connects from the bottom of the transmission to the crossmember". Which transmission, the transmission to the rear wheels ? What is the crossmember (I did not find translation) ?

Greg, about the air that may bend the plastic blades it is what I think (the plastic blades are loose), but I do not understand how the air can cut through ?

Have a nice day !

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AutoAnglaise said:
Thank you Marv !

Ok I understand, I will check if the items needs to be replaced.
Yes check them. More accurately that piece of hardware is known as the "radiator saver" also check your engine motor mounts and the supports they mount on :cheers:--Keoke

roger, great photo as usual, some might consider this overkill but on my own healeys i drill through the end of the threaded rod behind the double nuts and insert a cotter pin, ive seen too many of them missing all together. :savewave:

OP
A

AutoAnglaise

Freshman Member
Hi !

Thank you for the picture !

The engine motor mounts seem ok.
I will order for new bush for the tie rod.

I did not checked the tie rod yet, however I think the nut could be missing because I notice that several nuts were not correctly screwed on.

This is a new car and I have to check more things before using it again. I am listing parts I need. So thank you very much for the help about the fan.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I think you mean you are missing the two BOLTS for the transmission (gearbox) mounts.
Also, what does the other end of the stabilizer look like? Are the bushings at the other end in good shape?

You are in the best position to decide what caused your problem. You just need to understand how the system is supposed to work. The missing bolts for the gearbox mount could be a partial cause, but most of the work of holding the gearbox/engine back is done by the stabilizer. The stabilizer has bushings which can soften from being soaked with oil. There also is adjustment of the stabilizer rod. Next, there is the engine mounts to look at to see if they are in place and in good condition. Lastly, is there enough clearance between the fan and the radiator?