• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Falcon SS versus Peco HDR

Steve_S

Yoda
Falcon SS versus Peco HDR, same engine on same day. Sorry the recordings are bad, but it gives an idea of the difference. Both systems were mounted on a stock '67 BGT with stock manifold and downpipe.

What you will hear:
Startup
Idle
Rev to 2500 RPM
Rev to 3500 RPM
Rev to 4500 RPM
Hold at 2500 RPM
Hold at 3500 RPM
Hold at 4500 RPM
Rev to 5000+ RPM

https://www.mgnuts.com/temp/falcon.wma

https://www.mgnuts.com/temp/peco.wma

The Falcon system suprisingly measures 4dB louder when revved, measured standing next to the car, than the Peco which uses a larger diameter pipe. Inside the car, the Peco is 2db louder than the Falcon under load, probably due to less high tones and more low tones, which penetrate the car's steel body more easily.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I think they both sound nice. Though, the Falcon has a little more of a 'crisp' sound to it.

Very informative... I kinda like the sound of the Falcon better... The Peco sounds very close to my stock exhaust.

OP
Steve_S

Steve_S

Yoda
It's funny, both here and on MGBE people all prefer the Falcon sound. But in real life everyone seems to prefer Peco. I think these crappy muffled recordings are too misleading. In real life, the Falcon sounds more stock and the Peco more racey and aggressive. The Falcon has more of a glass pack sound, kinda raspy.

jgbowman1

Jedi Hopeful
My Peco definitely doesn't sound stock.

ddrumman

I personally thought that the SOUND of the Peco had more ball$.
I would prefer that on my B.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The Peco does not have that death rattle sound when you take your foot off it.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
turn down the bass on your PC speakers to get a more accurate reproduction of the sound of the exhausts... the Falcon doesn't have nearly as much low pitch resonance as you might hear in the recording... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Makes sense now... I've a huge subwoofer on my system. It sounded really mellow and deep.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I don't care much about the difference in the two sounds... given the choice, I'd go with stainless for a header every time. The Ansa system abaft is a good enough "tone ameliorator" in my book.

Stainless is nice... I went and bought a bunch of stainless hardware today to finish up some stuff on my boat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It'll outlast the boat.

OP
Steve_S

Steve_S

Yoda
The recordings do not have headers. Stock system to the horizontal pipes.

Also be aware that stainless systems are typically veyr thin walls and are far more sensative to temperature variations. They are the most likely to develop cracks and leaks over time. I've become a real fan of aluminized steel, which is what all modern systems are being made of. I replaced all the steel Peco pipe with it on my GT the other day. It never rusts and stays a nice silver for life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I put an aluminized Magnaflow on my Camaro about 6 years ago....After years of winter salt it still looks and sounds great. Nice system!

MattP

Jedi Knight
Does anybody have the Monza, or even better a sound file of it? I've been thinking about one for my B.

MattP

Jedi Knight
Louder? That kinda rules it out. I come home from work at 3AM, and as one of the biggest whiners about the noise in the neighborhood, I best limit my contribution. Thanks for the input.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Steve,

I made it to that guy's shop this afternoon. It was another adventure trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I had him put the Falcon on my car. The catalytic converter and my asthmatic manifolds give it a COMPLETELY different sound from what it sounded like on your car. I mean you'd never know it was the same muffler just from the sound of it. The 75 and up exhaust manifold combined with a catalytic converter removes _all_ of the crispness that it had on your B GT. I'm left with a very mellow sound that's quite pleasing. At idle my 76 sounds a lot like the sound clip of your GT with the Peco resonator.

However, given the nature of the fiberglass hardtop on my car, I do have some resonant frequencies that aren't too pleasing around 3500 RPMs. It sounds great outside the car. I'm sure it'll sounds good while driving too once I get the hardtop off of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
Steve_S

Steve_S

Yoda
You shouldn't be running a hard top in So Cal in the Spring / Summer anyway! :p

I'm sure your later setup / smog gear is muffling the sound a bit before it ever gets to the muffler itself. Originally the Falcon had a resonator mid-car, which I removed when I got tired of smashing it on speed bumps. I would bet it would do more harm than good on your car anyway.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
my previous muffler was mid mounted... it did ok 98% of the time... it was that other 2% that killed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody have the Monza, or even better a sound file of it? I've been thinking about one for my B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Monza on my 58 MGA, it's very loud....the kinda loud that makes your heart pound just standing near it.

Speaking of loud, my neighbors celebrated when I retired the Camaro from being commuter....To start it in the winter(at around 5:30 am) I'd have to push the throttle about half way, then crank it...resulting in ALOT of beautfitul throaty noise, and some black carbon....The noise would resonante off surrounding houses and wake up half the neighborhood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif