• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Failed Texas Kooler Fan

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
For group info I just removed a failed Texas Kooler fan frommy BJ7. One blade broke off, and luckily,only cut through the heater inlet hose. Theblade broke off at the blade root with less than 5k miles. It was installed in 2011. A second blade was broken half way and athird had a tiny crack beginning. If youare using one I suggest regular inspections for hairline cracks at blade roots onthe backside of the leading edge.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Stretch,

I have been concerned about that potential for a number of years. I installed my TC in the mid-late ‘90s and have a tendency to shift at around 5K RPMs. Although I have not noticed any stress cracks yet, I am considering putting the original metal fan back in the spring. For now, not being able to drive for a while as the result of a recent throttle foot operation, I will leave it in but take your advice.

I wish you an inexpensive repair,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
IIRC, when a TX Healey Club quit selling the fans Moss, I think, had some reproductions made that had such problems. I've had one of the 'original' Texas Cooler fans--bought from the TX club--for close to 100K miles with no problems.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bob,

I too have a Texas Cooler purchased from the club and see no fractures as yet. My concern is that, over time, stress, and heat, deterioration would begin and, on one of my 5K shifts I may experience what Stretch had. Although the change is not urgent, I will begin to look at alternatives and, presently, do not like the metal flex fans. With all the cooling air flow modifications I have executed, maybe its time to see if the original metal fan performs reasonably.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For group info:
To prevent this failure I have made a 1/2" thick round aluminum spacer that fits behind the fan and has an area equal to the unsupported section of the fan 's hub.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stretch

Jedi Trainee
I am not sure a spacer could have prevented my fan's failure. The blades broke at the point where they joined the plastic hub. Close examination of the cross sections of both broken blades indicates that the plastic broke part way rapidly, then over time continued to tear apart. Perhaps this was caused by internal stresses created as the molded plastic cooled coupled with the sharp angle of the backside joint. If you could post a picture perhaps I could get a better idea if we are addressing the same issue.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keoke,

Can you please post a picture.

Thanks,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Sorry guys I am not at home now I am in the valley of the sun which is flooded in some parts. But believe me the spacer works.--Keoke