• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine weight

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Just did a quick thread search and didn't see this addressed anywhere. Does anyone have an accurate weight on a BJ7 engine minus the transmission? I figure it to be between 400 and 450 lbs. I need to fabricate a lifting structure to get my assembled engine from the basement workshop up the stair well into my garage.

Griz

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Randy, I should have been more specific, but the manifolds, carbs, starter, and generator are not mounted. My estimate could well be way off mark in any event.

Griz

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think the fully dressed engine with transmission and overdrive weighs up to 750 pounds (probably a tad less). I'd think for safety you may want to use 500 pounds. That sounds like a horrible job getting that lump up the stairs...

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Hugh, it was bad enough getting the bare engine block down there! I mounted it on a piece of plywood, tied a rope around it and let it slide slowly down the stairs. I do a lot of woodworking and furniture building and have long been thinking how to mount a monorail with a trolley over the stair well to help me get heavier pieces out. Now the completed Healey engine has finally forced me to put my "plans" into motion.

Griz

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy, I should have been more specific, but the manifolds, carbs, starter, and generator are not mounted. My estimate could well be way off mark in any event.

Griz

Use 600 LBS You will need some safety margin

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just did a quick thread search and didn't see this addressed anywhere. Does anyone have an accurate weight on a BJ7 engine minus the transmission? I figure it to be between 400 and 450 lbs. I need to fabricate a lifting structure to get my assembled engine from the basement workshop up the stair well into my garage.

Griz

According to Dave Williams who sources Jan P. Norbye's Comlete Book of Automotive Power Trains, the weight of the 100-6 engine is 562 lbs. Couldn't imagine the BJ7 being too different.

Weights here:
https://w2ner.com/engine_weights_by_dave_williams.htm

His sources:
https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/32264-complete-engine-weights-table/page-3

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Griz, When I had my engne out about a year ago, (BJ7). i don't remember my source but I had a very confident belief that the engine and trans with OD was 720 lbs.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In the AH Work shop manual - back of the General data,

Engine 611lbs,
Standard Gear box 79.5lbs
Gear box with O/D 117lbs.

Give your home made equipment a margin of safety

The bits and pieces bolted on will presumably add additional weight. :thankyousign:

:cheers:

Bob

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Make wood mount, affix wood rails or plywood to stairs, grease said boards. Use a come-along type device to pull it up the stairs. Two difficulties I see. One would be if the stairs aren't up to the load and the second is having a good hard-point to attach the other end of the come-along. I might add I NEVER miss an opportunity to use a come-along, I own 3 of them and have done things that require all of mine. Makes me feel like a slow speed Superman.... If you use this method, don't forget to have a way to hold the engine in place mid-way to re-adjust the come-along when you've cranked it as short as it goes. Been there, done that. This sounds like big fun.

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Roscoe, I've used that method for getting heavy things up the stairs in the past, but was not looking forward to getting the Healey engine up that way. Here's the plan as it now stands...I have a 2T chain fall and will attach a S4 I-beam to the underside of reinforced trusses in my garage. I will attach an appropriately rated trolley to the beam for the chain fall. This I-beam will be long enough that it will extend into one bay of my garage and can be used not only to get the engine out of the basement but also mounted into the car. Thanks to all who have helped me with the engine weight.

Griz

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For some reason I'm reminded of the guy who hand built a Countach in his basement and then had to figure a way to get it out:

3143rwm.jpg

nxrrc0.jpg

More pics here: https://www.****coolpictures.com/2008/10/hand-made-lamborghini-built-in-basement.html