• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Question

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's a photo of the engine Glenn Towry built for my MGB V8 conversion project...though I'm running a Boxer split intake cross-flow manifold with quad 44's, I've got the stock thermostat cover...I need to replace it with one that has more of an angle on the hose pickup end as the stock one points upwards too much. Anybody have a parts number cross reference or a suggestion about what will work?

boxerv8.JPG

Getting ready to put it in yet?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, car comes back from paint booth in April

Cool!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But I still need to solve the thermostat housing problem - need one that points directly towards radiator, not upwards.

swift6

Yoda
Tony, the photo is sort of fuzzy, maybe it's my eyes this morning..., but it looks to me like that housing is on backwards? Does it really point up? On my TR8 the housing points to between the alternator and the distributor (same locations as on yours). All of my current photos don't show the set up because the air pump hoses cover up the entire area. I'll see if I can get some better photos. Otherwise... Woody Cooper at The Wedge Shop (in Mass.) 508-880-5448, Brad Wilson at Wedgeparts (in Tenn.) 931-645-5283 or Ted Schumacher at TSI (in Ohio) 419-384-3022 could possibly help you out with a different thermostat housing. There could also be a Land Rover housing that could get you where you want to be.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
but it looks to me like that housing is on backwards? Does it really point up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is on backwards; & yes it really points up even when installed correctly

I had it on backwards for shipping & never turned it around....when turned around, instead of pointing directly at radiator, it points upwards at about 45-degree angle.

Thanks for theheads up on those contact points - forgot Ted Shumacher...

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a fuzzy memory that some standard GM housings bolt right on. That might provide a lot of possibilities.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I have a fuzzy memory that some standard GM housings bolt right on. That might provide a lot of possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make sense given the engines origins.

Let's see... The rover aluminum V-8 started out as a Buick 215 right? What buicks were these used in? You might find something at Advance that'll work.

swift6

Yoda
It was a Buick, Olds, Pontiac engine. Though the only GM car that I remember hearing about it being used in was the Olds F85 Starfire (normally aspirated) and the Jetfire (turbocharged). A larger version, 300cid was also in production but I don't recall the cars that it was in either.

Back to Tony's dilemna. My TR8 housing looks the same as the one he already has. It just mounts differently (early carbed version). If Tony's housings gasket surface is horizontal, my TR8's is vertical where it mounts to the intake manifold.

Tony, will a lesser angled housing still allow the hose to clear that fan, or is that fan coming off in order to switch to an electric fan?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, I'm keeping the fan &, though I'm in a hotel aweay from home right now, I think a lesser angle will clear it.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, Shawn, I'm in Kansas City this week....will be in Hawaii from 29 May until 3 July...

swift6

Yoda
Oh! Then you must wish you were in Hawaii. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep - do wish it...but 6 weeks over there in summer will cure that wish!