• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine pulling this week

motofiaccone

OK Gents, so i need to pull the motor this week. I really don't have the space to store nor the money to buy a real engine puller. However, whilst up in my attic, I noticed I have three 2"x12" bonded together in a very good location.

I borrowed a ratching come-along from a friend that has 3/8" cable. My thought is to insert 3 or 4 1/2" eye bolts into the rafter, then run a pole through it. I'll clamp the come-along to this pole. The plan is to lift the engine, then roll the chassis from the motor.

Is this a bad idea? I've never pulled a car motor before. In fact, the only motor-pulling experience I have is pulling my 150lbs bike engine from my se7en--whereby I would just lift the motor free. Anyway, all opinions are welcome!

--Thanks, Chris

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Screw in eye bolts bad idea.

Country flag
It might be easier to borrow an engine crane, and it would certainly be safer.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Eye bolts bad, chain secured with 3/8 grade 8 bolt good. Just loop that chain around the beam, bolt the loose ends and hang the comealong from that. I have pulled a few engines with just that sort of arrangement, all of them American V8s.

You will need to be able to angle the engine and roll the car as it comes out. Getting the engine/trans out of a Midget without a load leveler and a movable cherry picker is gonna take some work. Rent a load leveler at least. You can rent cherry pickers as well. Check the ytellow pages for tool rentals, maybe you can find a good deal.

On edit: What's up with your website? It will never load for me.

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
it is quicker and safter with a engine cran my old mechanic he could pop out my engine fix some thing and get it back in the same day no problem. imagine if you drop it or have it shift they you have to re rig with the engine in a dangorus position

zimmy

Jedi Knight
it has to tilt as it comes out....
pulling is much easier than reinstalling.
lots of stuff to bump into either way....
whatever u use...go slow with it ......z

Country flag
Many places will rent engine hoists and levelers. If you have the means to go get one, that would be my first recommendation. A length of chain around the 3 2x12's should do the job. I'd put the car in with the rear facing out the garage door, this way you can move it out of the way once the engine is out if that is the route you choose.

bugimike

Yoda
I have used rafters in my garage and a come-along and then rolled the car out from under the engine (as Peter says above, with the rear of the car facing the garage door). I looped the cable from the come-along over the beams and hooked it to itself. I would not rely on eye-bolts etc. As far as tilting the engine and tranny, it can be done with muscle and it really helps to have an extra pair of hands to do this. My advice if you go this route is to take it slow and easy...I would recommend a visit to your local auto-parts store or local tool-rental shop to see if they rent an engine hoist as this is by far the easier and safer way to go!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are these beams in the attic exposed? If not, now you're having to punch through drywall or whatever the ceiling is made of. Eye bolts are a bad idea. If they strip out because of the weight the drivetrain falls on the car or worse yet...you.

I highly advise getting the cherry picker with a leveler. I've pulled engines out of Fiats and MGs with and without, and life is much easier with the cherry picker.

startech47

Jedi Knight
You do not want to use eye bolts as the hole to mount them will weaken the 2 x 12's. Unless the eye bolt loop is welded shut they have a tendency to open up at the worst times.

jerrysmg

Freshman Member
I pulled my engine using a come-along and two ratcheting tie down straps looped under the engine. I used the ratcheting straps to tilt the engine. I hung the come-along from a 2x6 laid across several of the 2x4 rafters in the storage building I use. I'm guessing your setup would be fine,unless you're storing a lot of heavy items in your garage attic.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Regardless of the route you decide to go, make sure you stay out from under the motor!!

p.s. About 10 years ago my brother and I pulled the motor out of a 77 midget that I had. We used a long pipe and chain. Rested the pipe on the fenders, both picked it up from either side and walked the motor out.

Ahh, to be ten years younger.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
I would do a half day rental on a hoist, it is about $50 bucks here and alot safer, easier and will help you not to bang up radiator shroud.

I have banged it up several times and it is easier just to rent the hoist IMHO.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
$30 for the weekend here.

OP
motofiaccone

motofiaccone

Hi Gents:

Appologies for the late reply! I've been swamped at work.

First, the hard drive for my website checked on to the next plane. Luckily, I was in the process of switching servers, and I think I lost little data. I'll have the new website up this week...hopefully.

The 2x12" boards stretch the length of a small 2-car garage. I agree the eye-bolt was a horrible idea. Thanks for setting me straight. IF I use the come-along, I'll drill a couple 2" holes in the dry wall and loop the chain over it. However...

I found a couple foldable engine hoist on craigslist for $100. The are both virtually new, two-ton hoist. Being that I'm doing an engine swap, I'll likely need to deftly move engines in and out of the car, so I'll check with the SWIMBO about buying the lift.

I live in the exurbs of Dallas, and finding a tool rental place semi near me is challenging. Hopefully, I can buy the tool and sell it back when I'm done. We shall see!

--Cheers, Chris

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I am renting a hoist tomorrow to put mine back in, $24.00 for 24 hours minimum charge. Seemed reasonable to me and it is all broken down so it fits in a car. I am getting it from a Lowe's rental center Nations rent I think.

Mark

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just a FYI -- I bought my hoist from Pep Boys for $110 or so. I've already used it enough to justify the cost, and figure I could sell it for a few $$s later on.

bugimike

Yoda
I also bought one of the Pep Boys units...$119 and well worth it after years of using the come-along-over-rafter technique!! (which actually worked fine for many years!!) :wink:

As far as rentals, check with local auto parts places, it may require a deposit, but you get that back when you are done!!