• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

engine number eaten

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
In sptie of my written instructions, the block went into the hot tank with the aluminium engine number attached and now is eaten
All that is left is a 2 for the first digit and then 5908

I now need to get a new engine plate made.
What would the balance of the number be on a 67 BJ8?

I am hoping that I do not have to get a hertitage certificate to trace the engine number as the engine is going back in the car now

Country flag
Heritage Certificate; who else do you know with those records? You didn't record the number, or get a picture of it yourself?

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Why bother? Is it a state regulation? Don't forget anybody can get and engine and chassis number so even when cars are advertised as matching numbers, they might not be.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Mine has the following data;

Chassisnumber 40871
Enginenumber 29K-RU-H/15486
Builddate 1-2 March 1967
Despatch 4 April 1967

Mail Steve, he must be able to estimate yours

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Check some of the AH registries and give them the chassis number plus what you do have. Maybe they can help.

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hoghead,

Send an email to Steve Byers, he has some info, including engine numbers, for our BJ8's.

His email is: BJ8 Healeys [sbyers@ec.rr.com] and he is a member on this forum.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's always something of a mystery to me why some BJ8 owners on the forum have not taken advantage of the BJ8 Registry button at the top of the forum home page and contributed the details of their car to the database - even after being personally invited to do so. The registry is not an attempt to invade anyone's privacy. It is an attempt to develop a valuable resource for the BJ8 community by assembling similar details of a large number of cars in one place (8,058 cars worldwide as of today - 45.5% of total original production). This can allow for comparisons between cars, development of statistics that help us learn more about BJ8s, and provision of a source of information that can be of assistance to individual owners in many ways (just ask).
Someone has to receive/acquire, organize, maintain, and use the data for the benefit of the community, and since 1998 I have volunteered to do that as my primary contribution to the cars we all love. I have access to the BMIHT data without having to purchase a certificate for each car, and over the last 15 years I have documented BMIHT information for thousands of BJ8s.
If enough of Hoghead's serial number plate survives to show 5908, then it could only be either 29K/RU/H5908 or 29K/RU/H15908 (assuming the car has overdrive). I have no record of engine 5908, but 5906 is original to HBJ8/31102 (right-hand drive, UK spec car) and 5907 is original to HBJ8/31298 (also RHD).
However, engine 15908 is original to HBJ8L/41342, one of the original Metallic Golden Beige cars (at last report, now painted red). I have a record of this car from two sales on eBay. Actually, I have ALL of the 553 original Metallic Golden Beige cars in the registry because I have the BMIHT data for them.

OP
H

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
I believe that I am the Owner of the gold (now red) car that Steve is referring to and will check the VIN when I get home tomorrow
thanks for all the help, and now having learned my lesson will register with Steve

OP
H

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
Confirmed that my car is the gold car, now unfortunately red, chassis HBJ8L41341
Engine number per the registry is 15908

If I understand correctly the complete engine number is 29K-RU-H-15908
Is this the format and complete sequence for the engine tag?

Thanks for all the help

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Here is mine;
DSC_7556a.jpg

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hoghead, the car that originally had engine 29K/RU/H15908 was HBJ8L/41342, NOT 41341. I can show you exactly what the engine serial number plate for /H15908 looked like. I copied the photo from the eBay sale in February 2011. Another example of why the registry is a useful resource for BJ8 owners. The more owners who cooperate to contribute the details of their cars to the registry, the more valuable the registry can be to the current and future BJ8 community.

Attachments

• H15908.jpg
    H15908.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 54
Country flag
Hoghead, the car that originally had engine 29K/RU/H15908 was HBJ8L/41342, NOT 41341. I can show you exactly what the engine serial number plate for /H15908 looked like. I copied the photo from the eBay sale in February 2011. Another example of why the registry is a useful resource for BJ8 owners. The more owners who cooperate to contribute the details of their cars to the registry, the more valuable the registry can be to the current and future BJ8 community.
I know I've said it before, but I sure wish the 100/6 BN4/BN6 registry was being handled the same way... :(

Yes, truly valuable!

[/rant]