• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Noise - Video 1 & Video 2 added

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Give a listen and let me know if you can hear the ticking/clacking noise. When I go around to the drivers side and start to give her gas, you can hear the ticking and then is stops a bit and then starts again. Not sure what it is but I Steve asked me to get a sound bite of it, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ4nFz1wEAg

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: Engine Noise - Video

Hmmm... I'm not the expert on this, but my guess is either a problem with one valve or wandering timing. You may want to try adjusting the valves one at a time, going tighter and then back to normal and see if one of them makes the sound stop.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I think I only hear valves. But then I got old ears.

Try this. Remove cover, start care, let it idle any faster and you have oil all over.

Put a long handle screwdriver on each rocker in turn and see which one/ones are taping. If you feel no difference put your ear to the end of the screwdriver checking each in turn as before. Could be quite a few things but seems to be in the valve train.

Engine sounds good other than that though. And I love the nice clean engine room.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Haha, no oil in engine room = no oil. Naaaaaa.

Let us know on the valves please.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Oil was changed about 100 miles ago and I check it every time I run it. I ,ight actually do it again as it gets black very quickly. With the oil cooler, it's tough to purge the entire system. Since she's almost 40 and who knows how regularly or not it was changed, I like to purge as much out as possible.

So what you saying is that one valve might want to be .010" one might like .012" and one might evern like .014". That seems like it's a lot of fun.

Right now vlaves are .012" hot.

I am using a flat feeler. Is there that much of an advantage to using the wire type feeler? Could it change that much?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Ahh, on old tapets and pushrods always should use a wire feeler as they wear uneven, the wear surfaces wear unevenly.

And no all should use the same gap has nothint to do with age, just wear, however you might have one not gaged correctly at the right spot, thus the wire gage.

Did you listen to each one and see who is causing the problem

Steve_S

Yoda

THe rocker end wear in a curved shape. So if you stick a straight feeler gauge in there, it will be measuring off the lower ends of the arm rather than at the center where contact actually takes place. This will cause the valves to be wider than you intended.

Using a wire gauge is one way to solve the problem. It is also one reason the Click Adjust was invented, although opinions on its effectiveness vary from useful to useless.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Click adjust?

that sounds to me like a very tired timing chain...

mark

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Oh, one of those. Tried one one time long ago. Did not fit my style, jumped up and down. Like to set the valves with engine off so it was not necessary.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I gotta hear this. I was afraid to take off the valve cover whilst running let along adjust the valves. This is gonna be good.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Sure valves can be adjusted with the engine running, why not? Darn rockers jumping up and down, I found it difficult but had a bud that could do it no prob.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

Along with adjusting the valves I would add a can of Marvel Mystery oil or Rislone to your next oil change. You might have a valve hanging a bit. I would also use a timing light and check for timing scatter which would indicate a worn timing change as Steve mentioned.

Actually, adjudting the valves with the engine running is the best way to get them right if you have the touch.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hi Jack, If you just want to find the loose ones, this is easily done with the engine runing the valve cover previously removed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Then simply insert the feeler gage in them one at a time when you hit the loose ones they will shut up. Then set them with the engine off and recheck.--Fwiw--Keoke

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

yep yep, thanks Keoke. Sometimes I forget the easy stuff.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Here is another video with the valve cover off. Oil is not spurting all over but I do see it weeping out of the rockers & flowing towards to the push rod holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRj6dP1Pi1Q

What size feeler gauge do I slip in to check. The mess is not that bad so I might be able to check while it is running.

FWIW- Someone on the BBS suggested that I have an exhaust leak or a loose pully on my generator. I'll have to check the pulley and the manifold studs.

When I had that rocker fall off the push rod a few posts ago I had to take it all apart to put the tappet back in. I used all new gaskets when I re-assembled though.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Same feeler gage you used to adjust them.

Surely sounds good a idle but seems a bit fast.

I did not see anything that concerned me nor did I hear anything.

Use the feeler gage and report back please.