• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series End of the Line....University Motors LTD

After 34 years of operation, University Motors LTD in Michigan will be no more (as we know it).

https://www.universitymotorsltd.com/

John and crew have been a mainstay for the MG community for years...his expertise kept many MGs roadworthy.

I wish all of them luck as they begin a new chapter of their life.

Steve_S

Yoda
Yet another great resource gone - how sad. The most useful things John and company did for our hobby were not in the shop, but out in the "real world" promoting and enhancing the hobby. Best wishes on your future endeavors, guys.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm actually a bit surprised that they continued for so long after the demise of MG in the U.S. I think we should celebrate their long and honorable contribution to the cause rather than mourn their graceful exit.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Too bad.

But I'm hoping to retire soon too, so I don't blame him. :laugh:

The first picture on ~This Link~ shows John at the Valley Forge MG event last year.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wow, what a shame. I agree it's nice to retire, but not under these circumstances. It will definitely be a loss to our hobby. Maybe John will still be available for advice when we need him. I hope so! His knowledge is priceless. PJ

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They have offered a lot to the British car community. I'm seeing this happening more often with good shops with tons of technical know how. The owners/operators are retiring and not too many from the young crowd coming up behind them to fill the void.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I spoke with John several times on the phone and each time, there was an answer waiting for me. No secrets. Shame UMLTD will be no more.

RickB

Yoda
This is sad for all of us, I can't imagine how those actually involved must feel.

It would be great if all those videos could be put together on a DVD and made available, John could get some bit of money and all of us would have the benefit of his teaching.

Or are they already available? (other than on Youtube)

K

KSIS

Sad to hear!
When I first got my Midget, I watched his videos on you tube over and over the learn more about the car. When I sold her I gave the new owner the links to the videos....Thanks John!

OP
rick_ingram
Guys....

This is not armageddon.

I'm willing to bet that you will continue to see John's expertise...via tech bulletins, DVD's, travelling tech seminars, books, the BMTA, et cetera.

He's discontinuing his repair service but his bench service will still be available...and he has (wisely) begun to look for other venues of income...and perhaps a little more time with the family to boot.

rick
MGC 6165
MGC 3950
MGB (1978)
MGB/GT V8 (1974-1/2 conversion)

mgcsaylor

I talked to John yesterday afternoon, and felt I should post something accordingly.

John said he would still be involved with the marque, but to what extent he didn't know, as he was taking this on a "day to day" basis. He said there were various reasons for the move, most of them being economic in nature.

He felt his business was more in the entertainment realm, as very few of us use our MGs as daily transport, so he has to compete against movies, vacations, big screen TVs and the like.

And with the economy being the way it is, and Michigan being one of the hardest hit, if not the hardest, due to GM's and Chrysler's problems, the downturn in business has been all the more severe and swift.

And what's the first thing that gets cut back when times are tough - the fun stuff. And that's what our MGs are.

John seems in good spirits. It's important to remember that one step back might mean two steps forward. For him and for us.

I wished him all the best in his future endeavors, and everyone should take the time to call him and do the same.

V

vagt6

I guess one of the last things folks will spend money on when times are bad are hobbies like LBCs. Further, it's a real sign of the times when a skilled craftsman with so much publicity cannot keep the shop afloat.

May we assume that no buyer of the business can be found to take it over?

For those of us who remember the demise of the original British car dealerships back in the seventies and eighties, the close of Mr. Twist's shop is deja-vu all over again. Bad news for the British car enthusiast, but all good things must come to an end.

Mr. Twist was an energetic and honest businessman by all accounts and I wish him all the best. The things he did to promote the marque had national impact. Not many like him, IMHO.

Maybe the economny will recover soon and another skilled LBC craftsman will fill the void that University Motors has left. I hope this is the case.

Some folks are simply irreplaceable: John Twist is one of them in the MG car community.

Cheers and best wishes to all at University Motors. :thumbsup:

MGBGT_noob

Jedi Hopeful
Here's John setting up his tools (on MY!!! camp table) for his tech session at the October 2008 Texas MG Register gathering in Waco TX.

IMG_9019.jpg

boxofparts

Country flag
I bought my MGB off the for sale board in John's shop back in 1987. It has been a very good car..almost blessed by the guy. I need to get it out this weekend.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
That's really sad. While I've never visited their shop, I have taken advantage of their videos many times, and have learned something new each time.