• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electrical Help.

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
I was hoping someone out there could help clear up some confusion I'm experiencing with my 73 TR6?
It concerns the starter circuit. Turning the key would not crank the starter. Upon inspection I found two frayed wires going to the starter. 1-heavy w/r, 1-lighter w/y. I pulled back the tape and re-taped the individual wires. Starter will now crank. My question is; what is that clip/connector attached to the red battery cable? Does it provide a connection to the battery cable? I've got 2 heavy brown, and 1 smaller brown wire going into the clip, then coming out the other end and going back into the firewall. One of the wires coming out of the clip is suspect and I was hoping someone could shed some light on this part. Thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Crisis said:
My question is; what is that clip/connector attached to the red battery cable? Does it provide a connection to the battery cable?
Yes, exactly. That's where the entire car (except the starter) ties into the battery.

OP
C

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Randall. I guess this may explain a number of electrical problems I've been having?
Do you know of a link where I could find out what gauge all the TR6 wiring would/should be?
Reid

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As gig as you want. Check out British wiring. I also have that info somewhere I'll try to dig it up.

G

Crisis said:
Thanks Randall. I guess this may explain a number of electrical problems I've been having?
Do you know of a link where I could find out what gauge all the TR6 wiring would/should be?
Reid

Reid, the absolute handiest thing you can have for your 73 TR6 electricals is to buy Dan Masters' book on TR6 electrical problems and solutions. Included in the book is a complete, accurate wiring diagram for your specific year (and all others). The book is available from Moss Motors and worth every penny.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Crisis said:
I guess this may explain a number of electrical problems I've been having?
Certainly possible, I've seen several cars with problems in this area. Pop the cover off and look for any signs of overheating.
Crisis said:
Sorry, I don't. But this chart should be helpful in figuring out what it should be (as opposed to what it was) :
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Use the "amps for chassis wiring" column.

Of, if you are planning a major rewire project, you might consider this :
https://www.advanceautowire.com/harness.htm

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR6BILL said:
Reid, the absolute handiest thing you can have for your 73 TR6 electricals is to buy Dan Masters' book on TR6 electrical problems and solutions.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif
JIC anyone doesn't know, the same Dan Masters founded Advance Auto Wire; just to sell upgraded LBC electrical systems. Dan is a retired power plant EE, so he knows quality wiring; and owns a modified TR6 so he uses what he sells. His son does most of the running of AAW, but Dan still does the designs.
https://www.advanceautowire.com

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Reid, the absolute handiest thing you can have for your 73 TR6 electricals is to buy Dan Masters' book on TR6 electrical problems and solutions. Included in the book is a complete, accurate wiring diagram for your specific year (and all others). The book is available from Moss Motors and worth every penny.

Or available from Dan, directly for $30Us, and $5 shipping, ISTR.....

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- The hand book is not available on his site.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Last time I talked to Dan, he said he was trying to get away from work and spend more time with his grandson (and Triumph). He used to print and bind those books himself; but I believe he sold out the last run and has no plans to do it again. TRF produces them now, P/N RFP605, currently on sale for $39.95.