• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Eastwood leadwork DVD

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Eastwood Leadwork & Plastic Fillers DVD recommends cleaning the surrounding steel with Dupont 5717S after the repair to control flash rusting caused by the acid based tinning and tallow applications. Will any phosphoric acid steel metal prep work, or do I need something special for this?

Hot Wings

5757S is primarily Phosphoric acid, with a bit of alcohol added. This alcohol probably helps clean oils off the surface and the same results could be had with a separate solvent/surfactant cleaner pre-clean. Cleaning and etching at the same time probably does cut down on the oxidation a bit due to there being less time for the metal to be exposed to atmosphere.

It's been well over a decade since I last did any leading but I don't remember any real problems with the 2 step method.

5757S MSDS https://www.axalta.com.au/assets/pdf/intranet/MSDS/Cromax/AU_en_5717S_RFN.pdf

Mad tiki customs

Freshman Member
The Eastwood Leadwork & Plastic Fillers DVD recommends cleaning the surrounding steel with Dupont 5717S after the repair to control flash rusting caused by the acid based tinning and tallow applications. Will any phosphoric acid steel metal prep work, or do I need something special for this?

A metal prep from any auto paint supply works well for cleaning. Avoid the low VOC types. They dont work as well since their doctored toward the enviroment, not so much as the cleaning itself.
A question I have for you is with all the great products out there available to you why would you want to lead work anything?
Good solid welding with care in grinding smooth, a bit of all metal if you have to have metal in that particular spot, followed by a quality filler will yield 10+ years of trouble free repaired areas.
Ive been restoring cars for just about 30 years and havent used lead since the early 80's. never had a product falure, or a come back.
I remove all the lead from every car i restore since filler doesnt really like to stick to it long term. It tends to chip away from it over time.

Last edited: